cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Entity version handling

Entity version handling

1. What version of Thingworx are you currently running?
9.1.x - 9.3.x

2. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Accidently deleting an entity without a way to restore it. Having this function on the platform that saves all changes made to the entity (thing.xml.1 -> thing.xml.100) for some configurable time would be great.

3. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
In my company we have had several situations where someone has accidently deleted an entity, whether its been a mashup or thing. If you are not saving all changes made locally on your machine or on a repo, this can push you back a lot.

Also, with citizen development there could be even bigger issues that could occur since the citizen developers might not be comfortable using GIT (or similar technology) and often only have the projects in one or two platforms.

4 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @jensc for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

uyngvesson
7-Bedrock

When we build customer projects we normally use DevOps Repos to push nightly changes from the Development Environment via the GIT extension. Then that is used to make a master branch when deploying a new version to Production Environment. This way we always have full control on the changes that has been made to all enities, incuding deletes. 

We do the same for the supporting SQL and Reporting Services application to be able to quickly find and solve potential problems. 

OldGoat
12-Amethyst

I would LOVE it if our server host would allow a GIT server or some other sort of repository.  I've used many over the years.  GIT is the best so far, and should be built into TWX in my opinion.

AS_10340651
12-Amethyst

I changed the appearance of thingworx. Using uBlock Origin and mark the "delete" with rightclick and remove the "delete entity" option. So i cant delete it inside the Entity. I have to go to the hole entity list and select there for deleting.

AS_10340651_0-1699359290783.png

I have many times deleted the entity while i wanted to delete only a service. This is the solution for me. If you need help how to shrink the list feel free to write me.