cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Is SSL is compulsary for thingworx Navigate 1.7 to connect to Windchill M030 ?

shindemayur
13-Aquamarine

Is SSL is compulsary for thingworx Navigate 1.7 to connect to Windchill M030 ?

Hello,

I have installed navigate 1.7 .  Also will importing  GridAdvanced3.0.5.zip in thingworx composer was not accepted so i imported grid-advanced_ExtensionPackage-4.1.1.zip.

1)  will testing ValidateConnection service from ptc-windchill-integration-connector the result is :

Error executing service. Message ::Unable To Convert From org.mozilla.javascript.UniqueTag to INFOTABLE - See Script Error Log for more details.

2) As specified in installation document , when i  make changes to  the web.xml file at location  C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF

Thingworx Composer and LandingPageAccessAppMashup both does not opens

3) If i ignore the changes to be made in web.xml file then i can able to view both the pages but  can't connect to  Windchill.

Also I don't want SSL connection , so is their any way to get connected to windchill?

Please help....its my first project 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Windchill Authentication and PingFederate scenarios require Windchill to be configured for SSL, so your only option is to configure for the Fixed Authentication scenario. This will use the login credentials of a specific single user (usually wcadmin) to connect to Windchill, no matter which user is actually logged in to Thingworx. This is unsuitable for a Production environment, but is intended to be used in a Dev environment to get a system up and running with minimum configuration issues.

Navigate 1.7 is designed to work only with grid-advanced-3.0.5-extension. Any other version will fail. Navigate 1.8 is designed to use grid-advanced-4.0.2-extension. No version of Navigate released yet will work with grid-advanced-4.1.1-extension.

Errors in the validateConnection service test will result when you do not have a good connection to Windchill, usually because of a misconfiguration or incorrect certificates. 

The changes to the web.xml file at location  C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF enable the Authenticator that automatically looks up usernames in WDS by first connecting to Windchill, and then creating a new ThingWorx user if necessary based on the WDS entry. If the Windchill connection is not functioning, no one can log into Thingworx, and the composer and LandingPage will not open. When you do not have this feature enabled (use the original web.xml) then users that have been manually created in ThingWorx can login to ThingWorx. You should not proceed with this step until you have a good connection to Windchill, and the validateConnection test returns "200 - Success".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The Windchill Authentication and PingFederate scenarios require Windchill to be configured for SSL, so your only option is to configure for the Fixed Authentication scenario. This will use the login credentials of a specific single user (usually wcadmin) to connect to Windchill, no matter which user is actually logged in to Thingworx. This is unsuitable for a Production environment, but is intended to be used in a Dev environment to get a system up and running with minimum configuration issues.

Navigate 1.7 is designed to work only with grid-advanced-3.0.5-extension. Any other version will fail. Navigate 1.8 is designed to use grid-advanced-4.0.2-extension. No version of Navigate released yet will work with grid-advanced-4.1.1-extension.

Errors in the validateConnection service test will result when you do not have a good connection to Windchill, usually because of a misconfiguration or incorrect certificates. 

The changes to the web.xml file at location  C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.5\webapps\Thingworx\WEB-INF enable the Authenticator that automatically looks up usernames in WDS by first connecting to Windchill, and then creating a new ThingWorx user if necessary based on the WDS entry. If the Windchill connection is not functioning, no one can log into Thingworx, and the composer and LandingPage will not open. When you do not have this feature enabled (use the original web.xml) then users that have been manually created in ThingWorx can login to ThingWorx. You should not proceed with this step until you have a good connection to Windchill, and the validateConnection test returns "200 - Success".

shindemayur
13-Aquamarine
(To:barko)

Thanks for the help.

I am trying to reinstall everything.  But when i deploy war file on tomcat , it only extract war file. NO licence.txt file is created, also folders ThingworxStorage and Backup storage is not created. Also when i try to access composer page it displays, Page not found.

What is the best and easy way to install Navigate 1.7

Deploying the war file in Tomcat is the install procedure for ThingWorx. Installing ThingWorx performs no steps specific to Navigate, but is a prerequisite before beginning the Navigate install process. There are many manual steps, including creating folders and getting a license file, that need to be performed manually in the ThingWorx install process. Follow the steps in the guide “Installing ThingWorx 8.2”.

The only way to install Navigate 1.7 is to follow the steps in:

ThingWorx Navigate Installation and Configuration Guide

ThingWorx Navigate Framework Extension 1.6.0

ThingWorx Navigate View PLM App Extension 1.7.0

This can be found at https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/10E40398649548E88754E439ECDA60D4.pdf?sc_lang=en .

All of these are manual steps. Depending on the authentication method that you choose, they may include manual configuration changes in Windchill and in Tomcat.

Top Tags