cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Navigate_author_named_group

CarlosDoRamirez
4-Participant

Navigate_author_named_group

Hi, 

I have 10 licenses ptc_navigate_author_named. But the problem is that I can't use any license

ListLicenses.PNG

If I see the User Groups, I have not a group "navigate_author_named_group. This group should be created automatically from LicensingSubSystem, is it right ?.

UsersGroups.PNG

Can someone help me, please?

I am a newcomer to "Thingworx Composer."

Version: ThingWorx 8.5.1-b90 "

Thanks you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CarlosDoRamirez
4-Participant
(To:barko)

I found the solution.

You had to put the file "license_capability_response.bin" in the folder "ThingworxPlatform" of the Thingworx Navigate server.

Then restart the PTC*** services.

The file "license_capability_response.bin" is obtained in the "Manage lisenses" option in https://www.ptc.com/en/support.

A big thank you for the support.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

The 4 license groups you see are the only licenses groups created in Navigate. Other licenses such as the author or adk licenses are paired with the view_named licenses, so the first n number of users assigned to the ptc_navigate_view_named group, where n is the number of author licenses, receive the functionality provided by those author licenses.

CarlosDoRamirez
4-Participant

Thank you very much for the reply.

But, there is something that is not yet logical in the Composer configuration.

I have bought 12 licenses "ptc_navegated_author", 10 licenses "ptc_navigate_contrib_named" and
4 licenses "ptc_navigate_view_named". In total 26 licenses that should be used with Composer (Navigate). 
However, I can only assign 20 licenses to users. Is there any synchronization that I should do between Composer and AD? or between Composer and Windchill?
Summary:

Thank you very much for the response and patience with me.

SummaryProblems.PNG

I am researching the details of how the licensing works, but I think that licenses you have in Windchill will not show up in Navigate.

barko
16-Pearl

My research has found this description of the Navigate licenses:

• Named versus Concurrent Licenses
    • Named User Licenses (any license ending in _named or _n)
      • The count of entitled licensed users is limited to the number of purchased named user licenses
        • These licenses are dedicated to specific users
      • Named user licenses are in use when a user is assigned to the corresponding User Group (for example ptc_navigate_view_named)
        • Members of this group have dedicated use of one of the named user licenses
        • Decreases the availableFeatureCount by 1
        • Grants View and Print capabilities
    • Concurrent User Licenses aka Active Daily User Licenses (any license ending in _concurrent or _c)
      • The limit is applied at time of user accessing the application. If Active Daily User (ADU) limit is exceeded user is presented with error message indicating lack of appropriate licenses
        • The limit is the total number of concurrent users
        • Any user may check out a concurrent license if one is available
      • Occasional users can check out a license for 24 hours
      • After 24 hours the license returns to the pool
      • The 24 hours begins at 00:00 (midnight) GMT so users in other time zones may experience a shorter license life
      • Number of concurrent licenses that may be in use is limited
        • Equal to the TotalFeatureCount (the number of these license purchased)
        • If all are in use a user needs to wait for one to become available before they can login

• ThingWorx Navigate License Types
    • ptc_navigate_view_named and ptc_navigate_view_concurrent
      • Allows Navigate access to view the out of the box (OOTB) Navigate Apps
      • Users utilizing a View license are read only and cannot modify the data within Navigate Apps
    • ptc_navigate_contribute_named and ptc_navigate_contribute_concurrent
      • Used for out of the box Navigate Contribute apps
      • Similar to Author, a Contribute license applies to Windchill too, and allows for Contribute and View functionality
    • ptc_navigate_author_named
      • The Author license allows for creation of data in Windchill or other source system
        • For example creation a Change Object, creating/managing Baselines, initiate a Release Process etc.
      • An Author license entitles you to Contribute and View apps
      • There are currently no out of the box Navigate Apps which can perform this functionality
      • The purchased license applies to both Windchill and Navigate
      • If an Author license is needed/used in Windchill this will apply to Navigate when out of the box Navigate Apps that use this functionality are present
    • ptc_navigate_view_adk_n and ptc_navigate_view_adk_c
      • Licenses are for the Navigate Application Development Kit (ADK)
      • Provides the ability to view custom apps created with the Navigate Application Development Kit (ADK)
    • ptc_navigate_author_adk_n and ptc_navigate_author_adk_c
      • Allows Development and authoring of custom apps via the Navigate Application Development Kit (ADK)
      • Entitles use of the Composer and Mashup builder
      • Ability to connect to non-PTC systems

At the time that explanation was prepared, there were no OOTB Navigate apps that used the Contribute licenses. With the addition of the MyTasks app in Navigate 8.5.x, those licenses now grant access to the MyTasks app. Users in the Contribute License group will have access to all View tasks. It is, therefore, not required to add a user to both View and Contribute License groups.

With your 10 ptc_navigate_view_named and 10 ptc_navigate_contribute_named licenses, you may have up to 20 users licensed to use the OOTB Navigate view apps. 10 of these users may also use the MyTasks app. Since these are named licenses, they are dedicated to these specific 20 users. No more than these users may access Navigate using Navigate licenses until additional licenses are purchased.

Up to 10 of the 20 users defined in the previous paragraph may be able to create data in Windchill with the Author licenses. It is not clear to me yet how these are assigned, and I will continue to research it. For ADK licenses, which also do not have a separate license group, they are assigned to the first n people to be assigned a ptc_navigate_view_named license. This happened automatically and there was no separate license group where you could assign them. This may also apply to the Author licenses.

I have not yet found information explaining the details of how the Windchill licenses work, but they are not included in the count you see in the Navigate UI. You should consider asking about them on the Windchill board where you may find someone that has experience with them.

barko
16-Pearl

R&D has confirmed the information in my previous reply. They have also provided the following graphic explaining the functionality of the Windchill licenses.

CarlosDoRamirez
4-Participant

Thank you very much for the reply.

But I don't understand why licenses between Windchill and Composer (Navigate) are not synchronized. In total I have 26 Windchill licenses purchased but I can only use 20 in Composer (Navigate).

There are 6 users who cannot use Navigate.

SummaryProblems.PNG

Thank you very much for your help, it is really valuable.

Have a nice day.

The licenses that you list in Windchill are actually Windchill licenses that provide the Windchill users some access to Navigate. They are not Navigate licenses, and do not show up in the Navigate license management subsystem. They DO show up in the Windchill licensing system. Those are two different things. The contributor license and the view and print only license in Windchill will grant those capabilities to Windchill users. That is managed through Windchill. Those users can be different from the 20 users that are licensed in Navigate. How you actually use the Windchill licenses is probably a question for the Windchill board. I don’t have any interaction with those licenses.

CarlosDoRamirez
4-Participant

I found the solution.

You had to put the file "license_capability_response.bin" in the folder "ThingworxPlatform" of the Thingworx Navigate server.

Then restart the PTC*** services.

The file "license_capability_response.bin" is obtained in the "Manage lisenses" option in https://www.ptc.com/en/support.

A big thank you for the support.

Hi @CarlosDoRamirez.

If you feel your question has been answered, please mark the appropriate response as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Thank you for participating in our community!

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags