cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Need Thingworx Navigate to avoid consuming license by Administrator

arajendren
8-Gravel

Need Thingworx Navigate to avoid consuming license by Administrator

• Customer has purchased only one license. Since Administrator user is consuming one license ,unable to allocate license for customer.

Is there a license exclusion list/group to avoid consuming license by Administrator ?.What is the process?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Has the Administrator tailored the Manufacturing role in the mashup to show at least one app tile? At the bottom of the tailoring screen, at least one of the "switches" must show green. Only the green ones will show in the mashup for members of that role. If none are set to green, nothing will show and the user will see a blank mashup. He may also get an error message with a 404 code.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The installation logic is that most customers will want to immediately test the installation of Navigate, and the Administrator is the only OOTB user created, so the Administrator is made a member of the navigate_view_named_group so he will have OOTB access to Navigate (the LandingPageAccessAppMashup) and can immediately test the configuration. But, the Administrator can be removed from the navigate_view_named_group to free up the license for another test user. When the Administrator is not a member of the navigate_view_named_group he will not be able to access Navigate (he will not be able to open the LandingPageAccessAppMashup, use any of the Navigate app tiles from the Landing Page, or perform any Role tailoring in the Navigate mashup) but as long as he remains a member of the Administrators Group he will still have access to ThingWorx (most importantly, to the Composer so he can manage users and perform other admin functions). DO NOT remove the Administrator from the Administrators Group – this will not affect license usage and without an Administrator no further changes can be made to the installation. The Administrators Group is hidden to prevent this.

The one license freed up by removing the Administrator from the navigate_view_named_group can be assigned to another user by making that user a member of the navigate_view_named_group. The Administrator can make him a Group member in the Composer interface. Note that to access Navigate the user will also need to be assigned to a Role Group. The OOTB Role Groups are Manufacturing and Purchasing. There is no limit to the number of users that can be assigned to a Role Group. Users should be assigned to only one License Group and only one Role Group. 

Thank you for the detailed reply.

So if I remove the Administrator and add the new user in the license group,Administrator will still have access thingworx composer. 

Ok.that's great.

One more question, if I need to perform any tailoring app activities ,can I remove the new user and add the Administrator again in the incense group. 

That is correct, if you remove the user from the license group then the license becomes available for assignment to a different user. To allow the Administrator to access the mashup and perform tailoring, you will need to remove the user from the navigate_view_named_group and add the Administrator to that group. When you need to give the user access again, remove the Administrator and add the user back. This is the only change that should be necessary. The Administrator and user can remain members of any other groups they may belong to.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The Authentication method I have for Navigate is "Fixed ".

So I created a new user called 'twuser' .

Removed the 'Administrator' user and added 'twuser' to the 'navigate_view_named_group'

Also added 'twuser' to the 'Manufacturing' group.

After executing all above steps, when I login to Navigate as 'twuser' nothing comes up.

Has the Administrator tailored the Manufacturing role in the mashup to show at least one app tile? At the bottom of the tailoring screen, at least one of the "switches" must show green. Only the green ones will show in the mashup for members of that role. If none are set to green, nothing will show and the user will see a blank mashup. He may also get an error message with a 404 code.

Thank you for the detailed message.

I am able to login as the new user and can access Navigate 'View' app functions.

A lot of words for simple NO. There is no exclusion group in Thingworx.

Which is bad and admin must move admin user in and out of Navigate license groups all the time for every change, minor or major.

Why don't you look at Windchill, where this problem is solved elegantly.

Hi - I'm one of the Product Managers for ThingWorx Navigate. Thank you for your feedback. We understand there are some opportunities for improvement with the license groups in ThingWorx, specifically involving the Administrator role. Will take your feedback and discuss internally on what steps we could take to make this a better experience for ThingWorx Administrators. 

Top Tags