cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Alphabetical naming of ports

medwards-3
1-Newbie

Alphabetical naming of ports

In attempting to create a variable connector group, I've run into a snag when it comes to naming the ports. The tutorial runs you through how to automatically name them numerically, but when I apply the help documentation to try and label the ports in an alphabetic manner instead, (which will make it easier given that the real life connectors are labelled alphabetically) I get stuck.

In the tutorial, you set the name_format parameter to #, and then add a label to the port shape with the format set to <name>. This then populates a variable connector with port names 1, 2, 3, etc.

In the help, it states:

Alphabetical naming help.JPG

However, when I try to use this, I get something that looks like:

Alphabetical naming.JPG

This happens regardless of which of the versions I use (full, trunc, hex).

I've tried varying the capitalization (Trunc vs trunc), varying the location of the # (#trunc vs #trunc# vs trunc#), but all that does is vary the location of the number.

Can anybody help me out with a step I'm missing?

Regards,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jstone
4-Participant
(To:medwards-3)

Matt,

The best way is to use a member map.  See datable and member map images.

Thanks,

jef

connector_datatable.bmpalphanum_1_mm.bmp

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jstone
4-Participant
(To:medwards-3)

Matt,

The best way is to use a member map.  See datable and member map images.

Thanks,

jef

connector_datatable.bmpalphanum_1_mm.bmp

Thanks Jeff,

It took a bit more fiddling and bumbling than I'd like, but I've managed to start creating and using datatables/membermaps in an effective manner and they provide a much better format, thanks for pointing them out.

Regards,

Matt

Top Tags