cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Challenged with round across drafted partingline

dellens
3-Visitor

Challenged with round across drafted partingline

Our company is a new Pro Engineer customer.

One of the reasons we decided to go with Creo Parametric is that we have seen the capability of it in placing rounds that meet at the partingline that cross dis-similar drafted halves.

Unfortunately we've not been able to duplicate this on our own. It appears there is much versatility that our Precision LMS training does not cover in regards to Transitions.

When placing the round we are able to get 1 set per side to drop in, but they do not meet at the partingline. The given transition options don't appear to include anything that meets appropriately at the partingline. If I'm not mistaken you should be able to get rid of the unwanted transitions and add your own custom transitions.

We have tried using variable radii to get a closer match to each side, but this didn't give any new transition possibilities and the given ones still don't work.

It would be nice to be able to just drag an edge to meet the edge from the opposite side of the partingline.

We have more complicated parts where the transition would need to meet across a drafted lock.

To have a successful implimentation of transitions across the partingline would be a clear cut improvement over the CAD software we are replacing. I know this can be done, I just don't know the tricks and mouse clicks involved with getting this to work for us.

I would like to be able to attach a picture, but I am writing this from home. I can add a picture later if this would help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dellens
3-Visitor
(To:dellens)

We were able to get help through our reseller that answered our question.

The method he used is as follows;

1) Deleted transition area in question

2) Selected 2 edges near partingline

3) Added Transition

4) Try side 1 or side 2 option

5) Transition tab will be in red; select this

6) Click on the displayed option and choose intersect option

7) Select parting line face or datum

This enabled us to meet both sides at the same place at the parting line. There isn't any Precision LMS training for this, it is not intuitive, we were just lucky to get help from someone who really knows what the software can do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Dennis...

We definitely need a picture for this one. Round Transitions are very powerful... but they can be complex. I have never seen a training class do more than glance over them. You could spend 4 class hours just learning about the different transitions and how to apply them.

If we can see what you're trying to achieve, that will definitely help. Also, if you have a sample part, that may also help. Obviously you will not be able to supply your actual model, but a simplified version would give us something to test. At the very minimum, a few screen shots showing us what you're tyring to accomplish would be great.

Thanks!

-Brian

I have enclosed a picture of the part we are contending with. You can see where the rounds do not meet at the parting line.

I can modify the model somewhat for propreitary reasons and attach this later if it would help find an answer.

Until then perhaps this picture can give you an idea of what can be done to get the rounds to meet at the parting line.

Thank youRound Trouble.jpg

KrisR
1-Newbie

This thread refers to stop at reference chamfers, but it may work on rounds as well.

It may be enough to select the parting line as the reference, or you may have to create a point at the proper place where you want the round to stop.

If we had a part to play with, it would be helpful.

James62
10-Marble

Hello,

Could you post the particular portion of your model where you have this kind of problem in STEP file here?

Exported in absolute 0.001 accuracy if possible.

From the picture I am not sure if this can be done using round feature solely.

dellens
3-Visitor

We were able to get help through our reseller that answered our question.

The method he used is as follows;

1) Deleted transition area in question

2) Selected 2 edges near partingline

3) Added Transition

4) Try side 1 or side 2 option

5) Transition tab will be in red; select this

6) Click on the displayed option and choose intersect option

7) Select parting line face or datum

This enabled us to meet both sides at the same place at the parting line. There isn't any Precision LMS training for this, it is not intuitive, we were just lucky to get help from someone who really knows what the software can do.

Top Tags