cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How to train SolidWorks users on Pro/E

ptc-876661
1-Newbie

How to train SolidWorks users on Pro/E

My consulting firm needs to train a couple of SolidWorks users on Pro/E for a new project.

I went through the same process with Pro/E 2000i^2, and I found it frustrating. With so many similar concepts in the two programs, it’s too tedious to train users from the ground up about what a sketch and a protrusion are, etc. But the programs are still different enough that I know better than to just assume the SolidWorks folks will figure it out.

Any recommendations?

I've contacted our VAR (NxRev) to see what they offer and whether they can put together a custom course. I'm thinking a fast-paced 2-day course could work.

Also, I see that Roger Toogood is still cranking out training books. I ended up using some of his myself when I made the conversion. Not as efficient as having a SolidWorks-savvy trainer guide you through the differences, but at least you can go at your own pace.

Thanks,

Wallace

1 REPLY 1

Summary:

Thanks for the replies. The options I found are

1. 3rd party books. None are specific to "How to use Pro/E if you already know SolidWorks," but at least you can skip the familiar parts.
  2. Instructor-led PTC training. NxRev could let us pick and choose from modules within the standard training, but nothing more custom than that.
  3. PTC's eLearning online. Same content as from NxRev but strictly online and self-paced.
  4. Having one of our company's Pro/E+SolidWorks experts lead a custom training session. Can be the best approach. I've done this before but unfortunately don't have time now.

I've decided to give eLearning a try. We've got plenty of MEs here who are strong in both CAD packages, so we'll be able to point out the modules to focus on and guide them through. I also like that the users will be able to move more quickly than PTC's classroom pace if they're comfortable.

By the way, kudos to Impac Systems in TX. They got a good review and also responded directly to me with some input. (My company is in Seattle.)

Thanks again,
Wallace

In Reply to Wallace White:

My consulting firm needs to train a couple of SolidWorks users on Pro/E for a new project.

I went through the same process with Pro/E 2000i^2, and I found it frustrating. With so many similar concepts in the two programs, it’s too tedious to train users from the ground up about what a sketch and a protrusion are, etc. But the programs are still different enough that I know better than to just assume the SolidWorks folks will figure it out.

Any recommendations?

I've contacted our VAR (NxRev) to see what they offer and whether they can put together a custom course. I'm thinking a fast-paced 2-day course could work.

Also, I see that Roger Toogood is still cranking out training books. I ended up using some of his myself when I made the conversion. Not as efficient as having a SolidWorks-savvy trainer guide you through the differences, but at least you can go at your own pace.

Thanks,

Wallace

Top Tags