Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swx to Creo back to SWX

jme

Swx to Creo back to SWX

Myself and another new mechanical engineer recently started working at an established company 2-1/2 months ago to replace a person that left.  Both of us have years of experience using SWX and Inventor and a few other CAD packages; the company is using Creo, which either myself or the ME ever used.   After 2 months of using Creo, both of us are finding  that Creo is so unintuitive to use with a steep learning curve that there's a large drop in productivity that its effecting the company.   During the interviews we were never asked if we know Creo, because from what I found out by asking around, management ( non-engineers) assumed that if you know one CAD s/w package how hard could it be to learn another, there all the same.     We asked for 2 weeks training but after showing the training quotes they took no action on it, and swept it under the rug.

Recently I stated my argument to the same managers, that with no training on using Creo management should expect a productivity drop of 50+% for one year, because of the difficulty on using this s/w as we come up to speed.  One can only watch so many Youtubes video and post Creo questions for so long.   We came here apply our engineering skills and learn the companies products, not watch Creo video's day in out.   After a long discussion a few time management said if we change CAD platforms will we get productivity increase and secondly how will that effect the existing Creo data and what need to be prepared for a switch.

So my question is if we get approval to switch from Creo to SWX, what issue will we have on importing Creo files and how to prepare them

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Swx to Creo back to SWX

I would back up a bit before jumping!

What business/product area is your company involved in?

Does your company have manufacturing plants to make your products or do you sub them out and only do assembly/distribution?

How long has the company been using Creo/Wildfire/ProEngineer and do you also use Windchill for your PDM?

Who made the decision to purchase the PTC CAD package originally?

You need to ask the import of Creo files to SWX to a Solidworks forum.

Will the cost of 4 weeks (2 for 2) training be less than the cost of the Solidworks seat(s)? Present that as a cost savings instead of switching.

Training is not an expense but an investment in your employees!

If you use one of the universal file formats such as STEP the converted models will have no features, no datums. Drawings will loose the associativy to the model if converted to DWG format for example. So, you will basically end up remodeling and redrawing everything from scratch. That's the real cost of the switch from feature based to a feature based CAD.

The part of translation to step I'm aware of.  However a PTC can be opened directly in SWX..

it will try to create the history tree in solidworks,would work fine with simple parts but would fail with complex parts.the geometry would not be defined..in short lot of rework would be required.

just a thought , when you switch job after some years and the new company would be using a different software maybe be NX or CATIA..what would be your plan then?

What business/product area is your company involved in?

We design custom machinery so no two design are ever the same

Does your company have manufacturing plants to make your products or do you sub them out and only do assembly/distribution?

No plants, our products are one offs for each customer's needs

How long has the company been using Creo/Wildfire/ProEngineer and do you also use Windchill for your PDM?

Long time, no sure how long.   No windchill being used here

Who made the decision to purchase the PTC CAD package originally?

Previous ME.   funny thing is they could find engineers they interviewed that had Creo experience, its not popular in New England area and personally I know  no one that is using it.

Will the cost of 4 weeks (2 for 2) training be less than the cost of the Solidworks seat(s)? Present that as a cost savings instead of switching.

Two weeks training is 7K per a person.  1 week is just the modeling 2nd week is drafting.  Total economic cost of not having either engineer at work plus training.. more..

I also argued this, but training is not in the cards.. again the thinking is CAD is CAD, if you know one you can know them all..

If product history or data reuse isn't an issue, that opens a lot of options that wouldn't necessarily be viable for companies that want to keep all that existing work.

Other than current projects, the loss is minimal so it's a valid option.

Seems if they aren't willing to spend on training, why would they be willing to spend on new software and the setup time that goes along with it?

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)

read the job description, beforehand.  we were duped by the recruiting agency, they assured us and the company I'm at that Pro-E pretty easy to use..

I had the opposite problem.  I wanted Creo to work with SolidWorks only to find out that this requires a special license and as noted by others, it isn't a magic bullet by any means.

My solution... I purchased SolidWorks.  Hate it, but its making me money.  Drawing with SW is the PITS.  ...so not much different than Creo.

Learning Creo from scratch without help $ucks.  When you learn what Creo can do that SW cannot... priceless!

Feel free for you and your buddy to post "how do I" posts here on the community and ask for SW methodologies in Creo.

1st thing you'll learn (learned) is that Creo has midpoints in sketch but no mid-plane in selection or mating.

Once I dig into SW commands, I quickly realize that Creo has 3 more directions you can take any command.  Why doesn't a SW sketch recognize a perpendicular surface as a reference?  Why doesn't SW have cylindrical and spherical equation curves?  Why are edges of surfaces not recognized as trajectories?  ... and in the last year, I can take this to the Nth level... but only because I did spend a couple of years getting very familiar with Creo outside my normal comfort zone.  I can promise you that I would never try to go this far with SW.  Nothing there that Creo can't manage in one way or another... and probably 5 more ways after that.

Again, I feel for you on the learning curve.  If you embrace it, you will grow to love nothing else.  I'm very glad I learned Creo before SW.  I'd be feeling like I've settled for less had I only discovered Creo after SW.  Maybe I'd feel just like you.

But we are here to help.  And if your company is at least covering maintenance on Creo, submit support cases to PTC liberally.  It's paid for!

Then again, if you have the full intent to convert your organization to SW, treat the whole process as a corporate CAD conversion.  That's a different conversation.

come down to India for training.Would be much much cheaper.I guess good training here would not cost more than 20000/- Indian rupees(One person).That would be maximum amount charged.

Announcements