cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Tapping in Creo

razmosis
11-Garnet

Tapping in Creo

I am having some trouble with tapping some parts. I am normally quite comfortable with threadmilling, but have done very little tapping because I am typically threading bigger holes. I am trying to tap a set of 10mm-1.5 pitch and 8mm-1.25 pitch holes. The holes go all the way through a 1" thick part which I would estimate to be around 38 HRc. The holes were predrilled to .335" (8.5mm) and .265" (6.75mm).

The posted tapping code for the 10mm-1.5 comes out like this:

T7

M6

T8

S60M3

G0X1.2303Y-2.1309

G43Z3.H7

G84X1.2303Y-2.1309Z-1.1787R.025P2000F90.

We tried to run it and the machine alarmed out and the tap broke. I am not sure what the Feed Rate of 90 is there for at the end of the G84 line. Does anyone see anything amiss or know of a tapping tutorial I could look at to see if there is something I am doing wrong? It seems pretty straight forward. The only other thing I've tapped in 3 years was a 1/4-20 in cast aluminum. That went fine, but it probably wouldn't have matter how fast that was going either.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:razmosis)

Matt,

I just tapped a bunch of 10-32 holes this morning here is what the code looks like.

T8

M6

S100M3

G00G90X-4.4125Y-3.95

G43Z.1H8

M135S100

G84G95G99X-4.4125Y-3.95Z-1.125R-.62F.0313

I think you are missing some info like the G95 which is the thread feed in inches per revolution in my case.

Fanuc control

Steve

Steve,

This is an English unit mfg session, but these features of the part happen to be metric. I have the thread feed parameter set at 1.5 MMPR. Maybe the English/Metric hybrid is an issue?

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Matt,

I think you need the G95 in the G84 line is what I was pointing out for the feed not to read ipm or mmpm

Steve,

I see what you mean about the missing G95. I just can't figure out what parameter to set in Creo's interface to make it put a G95 in the post. I could put it in manually, but there must be something here that I am just not familiar with in the interface.

I guess that we'll be hand tapping these for now, but I sure wouldn't mind gaining something from it.

Thanks,

Matt

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Matt,

Set it in tool setup as well as parameters. It took me a while to figure it out too.There are MMPR settings in there alsotapping1.JPG

tapping2.JPG

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

I did see those areas in the tool set up, but left them be yesterday. Today I changed them and the post still came out the same as it did, so I don't think that was the issue.

I just now converted all the metric numbers to english and reposted. The line now comes out with a feed rate of 2 rather than 90 like it was at first. There is still not a G95 in the line, but I looked at some 3/8-16 we did a few months ago and those didn't have it either but worked fine. My guess is that the new post would work without the G95, but they've hand tapped most of this overnight so it's not likely I will find out soon. We have Fanuc Pro 5 controllers on Makino mills.

I am thinking that the system doesn't work for tapping metric holes in an english mfg environment unless you do the conversion by hand when you set it up.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Matt,

The code I showed you was posted for Our Makino PS95. We have a Makino with the Pro 5 Control but It is an E33 with a 40,000 rpm spindle (mainly graphite and hardmilling) so we don't tap any holes with that so I can't help with the post or conversion issues.

I have tapped metric holes before with the PS95 but I don't have time right now to test it or look up what I did previously. I might have done the conversion for the feed I really don't recall, but when I get a chance I will look.

Steve

Hey guys,

I believe this is a gpost problem. I think you have to have a section in your FIL to tell it how to convert the MMPR to IPR. When I tap a Metric hole I convert the pitch to english and set it as IPR. M4 x .7 = .02756 ipr.

As for the G95 and G94 for tapping. On our Haas machines I use IPM so I didn't have to add anything to the post. But on our Makino A55's we use ipr so I had to create a FIL section to get this to work. They also need an M135 S#### on the line right before the G84 so that required FIL work as well. I was shocked that there weren't radio buttons on the Option File Generator side of Gpost to control the output.

Jason,

If you look at the few lines of code I posted I have the M135 in there but I don't recall what it is for? Maybe you need the M135 and the G95 for IPR feed? been quite a while since I have looked at my Post processor so I could have the fil set for tapping. I believe I remember doing the conversion for metric like you have in your post. I rarely do metric threads so I can't imagine that I would do anything other than the conversion.like you have.

Steve

Top Tags