cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Chalk Functionality Issues on IPhone 7

JZwierz
3-Visitor

Chalk Functionality Issues on IPhone 7

Hello, 

After testing Vuforia Chalk on several devices, we have noticed a huge difference in performance on different Smartphones, despite testing under same conditions and in identical environments. 

While Vuforia Chalk was running great on iPhone 10, audio and video quality on iPhone 7 was very poor. On the other hand, we tested the software again on iPhone 6 and it was running much better. 

Could there be a specific reason for this huge difference in performance? Are there any additional software requirements that might impact the quality of calls (like newest iOS updates for example or additional plug-ins)?

Best Regards

7 REPLIES 7
tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:JZwierz)

No additional plug ins are required to run Chalk. Have you noticed consistent poor call quality on the iPhone 7? Are all of these phones on the same network (wifi or cellular data)? Can you confirm the iOS version on these devices? We now require iOS 13 for Chalk on iOS devices. Are all of the devices also running the latest Chalk version (3.0.2)?

Thank you for your reply,

Yes, we have noticed a consistent poor call quality. We were testing smartphones connected to the same wi-fi network as well as using identical mobile connection from the same internet provider. 

Devices were running the latest Chalk version. The iPhone 7 was running the iOS 13.3.1 with the pending update to 13.4.1. So we were wondering if the newest iOS version was required or just iOS 13.0.

tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:JZwierz)

Only iOS 13.0 is required. One thing I would suggest is ensuring that other apps are closed on the iPhone 7 prior to starting a Chalk call. 

Can you expand on what part of the call was poor quality? Is it both audio and video or just one of them? Do you notice the colored circle at the top of the call changing to gray during the call? Have you tried enabling Low Bandwidth Mode? If so, does that help with the video issues? 

HugoP
4-Participant
(To:tmccombie)

I was wondering if there is anything new to this thread?

We have notice some similar issues using iPhone 7.

- iOS was tested with 13.4.1 and 13.5.1 with no improvement

- Tried on multiple device and only the iPhone 7 seems to have this issue

- Closing all background apps helps, but still issues

- Low bandwidth mode was activated but no improvement

- Test were tried over high speed wifi (120mbs) and LTE cellular data

Basically as soon as the video starts, the audio stops and video freeze. So you only see the start picture then it doesn't work anymore. If you make sure to close all background apps first, the audio is breaking up and the video is lagging. Showing new picture every few seconds.

tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:HugoP)

Are these iPhone 7 -> iPhone 7 calls? If not, what is the other device and network used? Do you notice that user icon changing to gray at all during the call? 

HugoP
4-Participant
(To:tmccombie)

This was between Desktop and iPhone 7. And same results but slightly better between iPhone and iPhone. Issue is always when iPhone 7 is sharing his view.

We ran few more tests today and yes the icon is changing to grey. This was between Desktop/iPhone and also between iPhone/iPhone. We also tried over wifi and cellphone data (LTE). What would be the meaning behind the grey icon?

Seems like the connection is more stable if we skip the annotation also. And it was more stable over cellphone data then WIFI although his WIFI was tested at 30 Mbps. Streaming seems better, but call was dropping within 1 min of connection.

tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:HugoP)

Thanks for the additional information.

The gray icon indicates that one of the devices lost a network connection at some point. That could attest to the poor connectivity that you are experiencing. Is this the same Wifi used to test the other devices?

Top Tags