cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Non Supported Devices Annotations

pingza
4-Participant

Non Supported Devices Annotations

Good day

I am testing the solution using the COVID offer with non supported devices .When I enable annotations despite the warning they still do not show.

How can I force annotations on regardless of compatibility. I do not understand what would make a device non compatible. My devices are based on the Qualcomm SD660 chipset and so are reasonably powerful.

What benefit is there to using Chalk over whatsapp video if annotations dont work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:pingza)

I wanted to add some additional detail here.

Before annotations are available in any Chalk call, Chalk needs to successfully create a map of your environment. This mapping is what allows annotations to 'stick' to the environment and is dependent on the device being used to share it's view. Unsupported devices have not been tested or verified for the computer vision based tracking Chalk uses. Some devices may also not have the required hardware to allow for AR capabilities e.g. a gyroscope or not enough memory/CPU power.

If paired with a supported device, unsupported devices will still be able to draw annotations when not sharing their view. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pingza
4-Participant

Anyone able to assist?

nsampat
17-Peridot

@pingza 

Thank you for posting to the Chalk PTC Community.

Regarding your inquiry, PTC is actively working on having more devices fully supported. You can review the Supported Device List here.  The annotation feature has been fully tested and verified by our R&D team for these devices.

It is true, that you can use the App without annotations if its an unsupported device. Currently, I can only provide a basic test to see if your device is capable of running Annotations. To test/enable this, open Vuforia Chalk and tap Settings. Under SESSION MODE, select Audio-Video With Live Annotations.

If I may suggest, please take a look at our Getting Started with Vuforia Chalk Community Page if you have additional questions, or are looking for more information.

Regards,

Neel

pingza
4-Participant
(To:nsampat)

Thanks for the response. I did enable the Audio-Video With Live Annotations which is available to select under SESSION MODE before logging this request and it does not work as when I use the Desktop web browser client and try and draw it says "Live Annotations are not available for this session"

The device I am testing with is a Honeywell CT60.

I cant understand why annotations would not be supported so strictly as it is just drawing on a screen and why would it be disabled on some devices even if you select it? As on screen drawing does not seem like a technically complicated feature in an app requiring advanced features on the hardware? There are basic AR apps that can run on this device quite easily.

nsampat
17-Peridot

@pingza ,

Unfortunately your device is not fully supported at this time. This is a limitation based on multiple factors, not just the technical capability of the device.

Please keep an eye on the Supported Device List, as our R&D will be adding more over time.

Thank you for understanding this limitation.

Regards,

Neel

pingza
4-Participant
(To:nsampat)

Thanks would any of the Honeywell devices be certified any time soon? I would have liked to test this during the free period till June 30?

tmccombie
21-Topaz I

I wanted to add some additional detail here.

Before annotations are available in any Chalk call, Chalk needs to successfully create a map of your environment. This mapping is what allows annotations to 'stick' to the environment and is dependent on the device being used to share it's view. Unsupported devices have not been tested or verified for the computer vision based tracking Chalk uses. Some devices may also not have the required hardware to allow for AR capabilities e.g. a gyroscope or not enough memory/CPU power.

If paired with a supported device, unsupported devices will still be able to draw annotations when not sharing their view. 

pingza
4-Participant
(To:tmccombie)

Thank you that makes sense!

Top Tags