cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Vuforia Chalk - availability in more countries

Meljeff
5-Regular Member

Vuforia Chalk - availability in more countries

Is there a timeline for Chalk to be available in China?

Related to previous post

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
danhitomi
11-Garnet
(To:pyalu)

Unfortunately, China is on-hold indefinitely due to their requirements of:

1. Requiring service providers to operate from China
  2. Requiring a license to operate a service in China (which is only granted to Chinese companies)

...you can see from this article (here) that even Amazon had to comply with Chinese law.

With that said - for Chalk - we can break this down into:

1. Can I download Chalk in China from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store?
  2. Can I use Chalk in China if I already have it downloaded & installed on my device and travel into China?

For #1 - due to China's laws - we are unable to meet their requirements, so we cannot publicly distribute the app through those public stores.

For #2 - we have had customers report they have been able to use Chalk in China (example: an automotive prospect and reported successful tests with good results from a factory in China). As long as the user's network is not blocked from accessing our resources, then they should be able to use Chalk (e.g., make a call from someone in China to a person in the U.S.). To minimize latency (to ensure a good user experience) - we regionalize our resources, so if the user attempts to make a call - it will likely connect to servers located in Singapore (as the closest region to China).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pyalu
4-Participant
(To:Meljeff)

+1

danhitomi
11-Garnet
(To:pyalu)

Unfortunately, China is on-hold indefinitely due to their requirements of:

1. Requiring service providers to operate from China
  2. Requiring a license to operate a service in China (which is only granted to Chinese companies)

...you can see from this article (here) that even Amazon had to comply with Chinese law.

With that said - for Chalk - we can break this down into:

1. Can I download Chalk in China from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store?
  2. Can I use Chalk in China if I already have it downloaded & installed on my device and travel into China?

For #1 - due to China's laws - we are unable to meet their requirements, so we cannot publicly distribute the app through those public stores.

For #2 - we have had customers report they have been able to use Chalk in China (example: an automotive prospect and reported successful tests with good results from a factory in China). As long as the user's network is not blocked from accessing our resources, then they should be able to use Chalk (e.g., make a call from someone in China to a person in the U.S.). To minimize latency (to ensure a good user experience) - we regionalize our resources, so if the user attempts to make a call - it will likely connect to servers located in Singapore (as the closest region to China).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Dan Hitomi
Product
ytella
17-Peridot
(To:Meljeff)

Hi, 

I have reached out to our internal team and @danhitomi will be providing you the detailed information on chalk availability in china. 

boemi
12-Amethyst
(To:ytella)

Hi,

we just bought chalk enterprise for our global operating service team.

I just saw now that CHALK app isn't available in the APP stores.

How can we provide the use of the app for our chinese customers?

We will host the session in europe and they have to join the session.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Marc

danhitomi
11-Garnet
(To:boemi)

Hi @boemi -- first, thanks for becoming a customer!

The only territory we currently do not distribute into is China due to restrictions they impose on companies that sell to Chinese companies or individuals. However, this does not mean you cannot use Chalk with Users based in China - so it is a matter of how to get the app onto their devices.

First question - are they using an Android-based device?

Dan Hitomi
Product
boemi
12-Amethyst
(To:danhitomi)

Hello Dan

Our field service engineers do use ANDROID (they are not the problem, normally they are based in our country).

For our customers It will definetly be ANDROID and IOS.

Regards,

Marc 

boemi
12-Amethyst
(To:danhitomi)

Hi Dan,

I assume it will be IOS and ANDROID but android would already help.

Are you thinking about a seperate playstore account based in another country?

With our internal people we can install it without an issue, but our customers are another story.

Regards,
Marc

Top Tags