cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Edit documents

K-Schaedel
5-Regular Member

Edit documents

When I open and edit an Excel file with Vuforia View, the file is not saved to the same location.

The temporarily downloaded file is saved locally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @K-Schaedel,

unfortunately I do not have currently a Microsoft Surface device . So I tested it further on Dell Windows 10 and on Android

When on android I opened one time with Excel and I have an Excel app on the device it opened always after downloading the file in the Excel app

On windows when I clicked the link (file widget)  it did only downloads the file to the download default location. But when I first select the downloaded file and  select the option always open this file:

2019-07-29_23-57-48.jpg

So, this will open then always the excel file when excel is already installed on the device

But when I try to save the file it will try to save it to the location where excel did open it - mean the download folder. It will never have a reference to the Vuforia view folder e.g.  app/resources/Uploaded/ts-test.xlsx

For example, you can check the reference on the file click event

$scope.testlink= function()
{
var file_folder= $scope.view.wdg['file-1']['url'] ;
//... do some action with this file_folder }

But there is no trivial API there to notify excel to use this path (it is relative and required to know the location of the app folder)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @K-Schaedel,

hwo did you open the excel file? Which Vuforia Studio widget did you use? Or did you used javaScript? Or which functionality you did use in this case?  

K-Schaedel
5-Regular Member
(To:RolandRaytchev)

Hello @RolandRaytchev 

I used the widget file and specified the file path.

thanks for the feedback. Yes could reproduce this behavior. 

So when we test it on chrome in preview mode it will only upload the file (used a file from the app/resources/Uploaded/ folder)   to the default upload folder. 

- so, I think in mobile (I tested with Android Samsung S9+) it will load temporary and will ask the first time for the application what you want to open this file. I think that the second application (in this case excel) will not really have access  to the folder where the excel file is coming.

When  I search on my mobile device - connected to PC I will find the temporary copy in folder

Galaxy S9+\Phone\Documents\Vuforia View\Download

But so far, I see the Excel app has not access to this folder when we try to save the file.

Therefore it will ask for another folder

K-Schaedel
5-Regular Member
(To:RolandRaytchev)

I use the Microsoft Surface Pro.
There is always a download from Google Chrome to the download folder.
But I don't want him to download the file, I want him to open it via the file path.
Is there a way to do this?

Hi @K-Schaedel,

unfortunately I do not have currently a Microsoft Surface device . So I tested it further on Dell Windows 10 and on Android

When on android I opened one time with Excel and I have an Excel app on the device it opened always after downloading the file in the Excel app

On windows when I clicked the link (file widget)  it did only downloads the file to the download default location. But when I first select the downloaded file and  select the option always open this file:

2019-07-29_23-57-48.jpg

So, this will open then always the excel file when excel is already installed on the device

But when I try to save the file it will try to save it to the location where excel did open it - mean the download folder. It will never have a reference to the Vuforia view folder e.g.  app/resources/Uploaded/ts-test.xlsx

For example, you can check the reference on the file click event

$scope.testlink= function()
{
var file_folder= $scope.view.wdg['file-1']['url'] ;
//... do some action with this file_folder }

But there is no trivial API there to notify excel to use this path (it is relative and required to know the location of the app folder)

Top Tags