cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Enhancementrequest CAD Import Meta

whity
16-Pearl

Enhancementrequest CAD Import Meta

By importing a pvz file, the CAD-import removes all meta-data. It would be great to have the possibility to select, what you want to be kept in the data.

Right now, it is only possible with much afford. I use a special pvz-extractor, which runs through my file and creates a json. Later I have to load the json file by code and assign it again to the respective parts.

With this tool, one could provide his customers a huge advantage. You can remove any part just by clicking. You can receive meta-data like material from any part.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @whity,

I think the basic idea in this request is comprehensible for me but on the other hand we cannot say general what kind of the metadata should be transferred to Studio. We need to keep in mind that the CAD data is much more complex as the augmentation data  and we need to compress it to some light ware  data which could be better handled for display on mobile devices and also need to be downloaded to the end device via the mobile internet connection or WLAN. Therefore, we need more precise specification what metadata you need to have.

Another problem is that we do not have an attribute or parameter on the Studio side which could read and display this metadata- so this means the enhancement should affect both – the converter / optimizer tool but also the Studio implementation itself e.g. of modelitem or mode widgets internal implementations

Currently in Vuforia Studio if we have more detailed requirements about desired functionality, we can report it as Jira Ticket to the PTC R&D

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @whity,

I think the basic idea in this request is comprehensible for me but on the other hand we cannot say general what kind of the metadata should be transferred to Studio. We need to keep in mind that the CAD data is much more complex as the augmentation data  and we need to compress it to some light ware  data which could be better handled for display on mobile devices and also need to be downloaded to the end device via the mobile internet connection or WLAN. Therefore, we need more precise specification what metadata you need to have.

Another problem is that we do not have an attribute or parameter on the Studio side which could read and display this metadata- so this means the enhancement should affect both – the converter / optimizer tool but also the Studio implementation itself e.g. of modelitem or mode widgets internal implementations

Currently in Vuforia Studio if we have more detailed requirements about desired functionality, we can report it as Jira Ticket to the PTC R&D

Hi @whity , what kind of tool did you use for extraction of metadata from Pvz? I'm interested about the possibility to extract all the bom outside of Vuforia. 

Thank you. 

Hi @LS_9776545 , the tool I used came from PTC. Meanwhile you don't need this tool anymore, because the generation of the JSON can be done natively within vuforia studio. You just need to enable the checkbox for meta data usage when importing a file. You can find the JSON file in your project folder after import. 

Thank you so much for the reply. 

I know the functionality of metadata extraction of Vuforia. 

But, I need an external tool for translate the description saved into PVZ's metadata and load the metadata in VS after the translation. 

Could you give me the name of this tool or where I could Buy?

Thank you a lot 

you can check you upload folder of your project. When you imported a  model with meta data  let say test.pvz - and you selected the meta data box then Studio will l create a json file with the most meta data information in the upload folder  /the data what is shown by Creo View

2021-01-22_14-54-53.jpg

So you can later access this data and collect some information using the API mentioned in the Help:

http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2Fcad_metadata_api.html

Yes, I know but I need an EXTERNAL tool for automate the translation of the metadata. 

Access the metadata in Vuforia, download in my PC from /Upload../ folder is a bit complicated. 

I'm managing something like five thousand project. 

ok - external tool possible:

- if data is already exported to pvz - in this case we can use the different creo View toolkit tools ( Creo View Java , Web, WEb.GL Toolkits)

- when data is in Creo parametric we can use Creo Parametric Toolkit - here we can export nearly the whole available data. When we use pvz file and creo view toolkits module - in this case we can extract only the data which was exported to pvz.

To be able to use the toolkit modules there is a license which should be order by PTC. But this is some additional costs for license + cost for the self-development.

So far I know there are some dev products which are already developed by PTC dev partners

So if you want to extract only few files – lets says < 100 in this case you can use the Studio user interface where you import – let say a group of 10-20 files with the options include metadata – so this will be done in considerable time.

If you need  to use this functionality daily  in your pdm workflow  in this case is recommend to buy or to develop such tool

In some cases, PTC consulting teams provided similar tools to PTC customer but only as part of already existing customers project for some services which are ordered by the customer. Such tools are mostly tailored for the specific requirements for particular customer and often could not be adapted to other requirements

Top Tags