cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to place a thingmark with remote pvz resource

GianVal
15-Moonstone

How to place a thingmark with remote pvz resource

I am setting up pvz resource retrieval directly from thingworx. Here I'm facing a problem with the location of the thingmark.

On the one hand, in a Vuforia Studio experience created with directly uploaded resources the thingmark can be anchored and sized on the "real" surface of the model, but, on the other hand, if the resource is remote (thingworx repo) this does not seem possible.

As the VFStudio guide says
<<Use a ThingMark when:
• You want to align your physical object and digital model as closely as possible. In order for the 3D model to display in the correct location, you must place a digital ThingMark in the same location as your real-world ThingMark. >> This is exactly what I want, but I need to load remote resources.>>
Is there an option to preview remote resources also in the 3D development area?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok i found that this is not possible. The preview in vuforia studio will never show the model of a remote resource. For thingmark placing is preferable to open a local copy of the model, place the thingmark in the right position and that remove it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sebben
12-Amethyst
(To:GianVal)

Hi,

I think previewing remote resources in the editor is not possible.

To align you models to a ThingMark you probably need to load the resource in the editor, align it, copy the position and rotation and use it then for you remote resource.

I aggree with the statement of @sebben  and want  to add possible workaround. So when you have for example a CAD repository thing containing in some folder many pvz files and you want to review them so see how they looks like- in this case you can use some auxiliary project which could be started in preview mode and there via list you can select any files of the list to display how they looks like.

To create some proejct you need e.g. the following steps:

1. create a new   Thing e.g.  named “CADtestRepository” using the template FileRepository

Set permission according to  http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FGrantUserPermissions.html and http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FAnonymousAccess.html%23  on the TWX server  and also added the CADtestRepository for the service GetFileListingWithLinks  -visibility and service runtime execute permissions for the es-public-access-org

2.) Add  aservice GetFileListingWithLink to a Vuforia Studio project – external data section – execute on load

3.) Link  all items of the service to the List property of the Select widgets

4.)Set the property "value" of the select widget (example for select-1 ) which is already  linked to the GetFileLsitingWithLinks srv /all Items (create a binding to)   to the model widget resource (src) property (please , see picture below)picture-1.jpg 

5.)So, now we have select widget/s  where the list property is linked to the External Data service , all Items of service GetFileListingWithLink – Thing  “CADtestRepository”. The  select widget/s has a binding of its “value” property to a separate model widget to the src /resource property , please see the picture below:

picture-2.jpg

So then we can test the project in the preview mode 

picture-3.jpg

I created such project on  IOS IPad 6 generation with the current Vuforia app version to test and it was also working . 

In case that there is issue with the display of the  pvz , parts - possibly they are not correct saved - pvz file could have a corruption

In tis case one thing to test. You can try the links to download the file from Thingworx – so 2 points to check here:

A,) Will the link download the pvz file to disk as shown in the picture:

picture-4.jpg.png

Please, pay attention that the links is shown  in the example as /Thingworx/FileRepositories/CADtestRepository/test/ptc-quadcopter-animated.pvz but the correct link should be then: https://pp-2201141259fd.portal.ptc.io/Thingworx/FileRepositories/CADtestRepository/test/ptc-quadcopter-animated.pvz  - also this contains also the server name . The question is then – Is possible to download the file when the link is called  into a browser 

B.) And when it is possible to download the pvz  then  we need to check if the  pvz file could be opened in Creo View to see if there is no corruption on the uploaded data.

Ok i found that this is not possible. The preview in vuforia studio will never show the model of a remote resource. For thingmark placing is preferable to open a local copy of the model, place the thingmark in the right position and that remove it.

Hi @GianVal ,

did you try what I described in the previous post. This will work also on mobile device with a thingmark. In this case you can change the models on runtime from repository, therefore    I do not agree with your statement generally - what your marked here as solution , since there is some background detail which is not known for me- in this case could you , please, provide more details aobut the problem and the goal what you want to achieve. Thanks

Top Tags