cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Importing 3D models from Blender

BryanPark
6-Contributor

Importing 3D models from Blender

Hello. I'm working on some 3D rendering, using Blender, and I am totally a newbie for 3D rendering.

Unfortunately, when I export an .obj file into Vufoira Studio, the textures and shaders are excluded.

I also imported the .mtl file, but nothing changes.

Anyone have suggestions about resolving this kind of issue?

Blender is kinda cool, so I want to find a way to use both Blender and Vuforia.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
dupatel
19-Tanzanite
(To:BryanPark)

@BryanPark I believe .mtl is not supported CAD format with Studio however .obj should work. Could you please confirm if while importing are you using CAD optimization option or not.

-Durgesh

@BryanPark,

Export from blend into .FBX  or collada format and import file into Vuforia Studio.

this is my results.

Bye 

Giuseppe

BryanPark
6-Contributor
(To:dupatel)

@dupatel

Hello. I didn't check the CAD optimizer settings.

I heared that it removes texture completely.

I've been able to import Blender models with textures successfully. When you load the model, make sure you load the OBJ, MTL, and any texture images all at the same time. When you load an OBJ file, it gets converted to PVZ. If you wait and load the MTL file as a separate operation, it's too late, it won't get incorporated into the PVZ.

--Clay

chcote
6-Contributor

Hi,

please see the following Help Topic regarding supported formats:

https://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FSupportedCADFileFormats.html

You'll see at the end of the list that in order for "groups" of files to be imported properly, they need to be zipped up. In your case, that means zipping the .obj, .mtl and any associated files and then adding this as the model source in Studio. (The zip file name should match the obj file name, ex. myfile.obj --> myfile.zip)

Thanks

No, actually it works just fine to do them as separate files, as long as you do them all at the same time. I just did a test with an OBJ file, and MTL file, and two texture bitmaps, loading all four files at once through the Resources + control (no ZIP file), and Studio handled it all correctly and gave me a nicely textured object.

chcote
6-Contributor
(To:ClayHelberg)

In most cases, that would just be down to luck. If the conversion were to kick in before any of the files had completed uploading (say, a large texture), then it would fail.

ZIP will ensure consistent success.

OK, thanks, good to know.

BryanPark
6-Contributor
(To:chcote)

@chcote

Thanks for your help. I'll check the link and try it again.

BryanPark
6-Contributor

As a result, all things mentioned above doesn't work.

Is the Cycles Render engine in Blender relevant to this matter?

(Should I switch to the Blender Render engine, which is now discontinued?)

chcote
6-Contributor

Studio and View both used their own renderer to draw the 3D graphics, therefore the rendering engine that created the original content does not affect its result in Studio or View.

There are additionally some limitations around the conversion and import (namely use of shaders, and possible loss of texture during optimization) that could explain what you are seeing.

can i ask you the model 3d and textures, i want try to create a pvz for you  for vuforia studio.

Thnx

Giuseppe

I used many model with textures into vuforia without problem.

I just used some Mixed Shaders and Node Editor (Emission, Gloss)

I think I should use another rendering tool to make models for Vuforia.

What are you guys using?

Top Tags