cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Manually changing Experience Service URL in Vuforia View for Hololens

augmentor
12-Amethyst

Manually changing Experience Service URL in Vuforia View for Hololens

Hello Community,

I`m facing the problem, that I have an experience service URL (https://<ipadress>/ExperienceService.ui), but when scanning the QR URL with Hololens it only reads the https://<ipadress> which alone is not working.

I tried it with the mobile version of vuforia view and there I was able to change the IP manually which worked out.

So my question is if there is any way to add an IP manually and not by scanning the QR code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was now able to connect to the ES by using a different router! Seems like there were some connectivity restrictions with the other router.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

For View to connect to your Experience Service correctly it will also need the port. Studio will generate a QR code based on the ES URL that you provide to publish your Experience to. If you scan this QR code in View with your HoloLens, it should pull the IP + port. 

Here's an example of my local ES.

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to metion the port, but I`m doing it exactly like you and it also works perfectly with the smartphone view app. Just when I scan the QR via Hololens it`s showing the correct URL but then telling me that the Experience Service can not be reached.. I am in the same network with the Hololens of course.

I read in some other posts that custom URLs are not supported for the Hololens yet? 

I think I`m having the same problem than mentioned in this topic: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Studio/How-to-set-Experience-Service-URL-in-the-view-app-for-HoloLens/td-p/516371

Has anything changed on that issue?

Thanks!

The limitation used to be that experiences needed to be public, but we now support experiences that require authentication. You should be able to view experiences on your HoloLens from your on-prem ES.

Can you send me your View log file from the HoloLens? 

Below are instructions to obtain the logs:

• Open a web browser
  • Navigate to device portal by entering the IP address of HoloLens
  • Select File Explorer > Camera Roll from left side menu
  • Download latest log file
    • Vuforia View must be closed to download log file

Thanks a lot!

I attached the (3?) logfiles that I found in CameraRoll.

After testing more I believe that I need to set up a VPN on the Hololens, because the university network connection just works properly with VPN. Do you know of any VPN app that I can use for the Hololens?

I tried a couple from Microsoft store but none of them worked.

I`m now considering converting the OpenVPN from .exe to .appx for the Hololens environment, but I`m not very hopeful that that would work.

Thanks for the log files. I see that you initially had some issues connecting to your trial server with your HoloLens but eventually were able to download and view the experience. I noticed that you're using the ThingMarks for your trial ES URL with your on-prem ES. Can you try using the QR code for your experience? You can find it under 'Share Experience'

Are you able to connect to your ES directly in Edge on your HoloLens? If not, it is most likely a network issue. I will talk to our dev team about VPN options for HoloLens. 

Thanks a lot for your effort!

I tried the QR code with my custom ES URL but it did not recognise it and also I couldn`t reach ES with Edge. So I`m quite positive now that I`ll need a VPN (It did work via VPN with my smartphone).

Thanks for asking and I`m looking forward to your reply!

I was now able to connect to the ES by using a different router! Seems like there were some connectivity restrictions with the other router.

Thanks for the help!

Top Tags