cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

New product ideas: Vuforia Studio?

Wes_Tomer
12-Amethyst

New product ideas: Vuforia Studio?

What is the best place in the ptc community to submit new product ideas for Vuforia Studio? Would this be it?

//

I would like to see the ability to organize uploaded resources by folder, because in some instances a single giant list becomes large and hard to search through. This of course would require a sort of folder browser when selecting a resource for a widget.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leigh
Community Manager
(To:Wes_Tomer)

Hi Wes_Tomer,

Thanks for posting to the Community!  The process around how AR product ideas will be handled in the Community is still being defined.  At this time, ideas posted in the Community are captured and reported back to the internal teams.  Once we have finalized this Community process, an announcement will be posted for everyone's reference.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Leigh

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Leigh
Community Manager

Hi Wes_Tomer,

Thanks for posting to the Community!  The process around how AR product ideas will be handled in the Community is still being defined.  At this time, ideas posted in the Community are captured and reported back to the internal teams.  Once we have finalized this Community process, an announcement will be posted for everyone's reference.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Leigh

Wes_Tomer
12-Amethyst
(To:Leigh)

Sounds good, thank you!

Here are some additional ideas.

Please forward to the development team if you can:

Basic Features:

1. No automatic zoom-out when pasting (a 3D label for instance)
  2. Automatic spin center (like Creo Illustrate) for easier navigation
  3. Ability to hide items in the design window (in case they are getting cluttered)
  4. Ability to organize / group widgets in the Views tab
  5. Option to wrap text on 3D labels.
  6. Option to "Solid Fill" the background of 3D labels (in case you are adding clickable functionality, and it is hard to click exactly on the thin font lines of the text itself) - this of course pertains mostly to the HoloLens
  7. Ability to open JS code in a new window so you can edit both this & the 3D design simultaneously
  8. I like the "mate" option for fast placement of 3D widgets. It would be nice if this could be used to mate one widget to another (for instance if you are putting a 3D label on top of a 3D image). Of course, the z-fighting could be resolved by slightly moving one away from the other afterwards, or stacking them vertically.

Advanced Features:

1. Ability to create a "window" or 2D-rectangular region in 3D space for the HoloLens that can be controlled like a webpage (buttons, CSS, functionality) so that some of the 2D features / widgets could also be used for the HoloLens
  2. Option to view / edit all widget properties at once in a table view - like Excel. So you can easily see them all at once and eliminate some errors due to repetitive tasks. Otherwise you've got to keep track of this manually in an Excel file or somewhere else.
  3. More power with model items for large assemblies
    1. For instance, find out or dynamically change "Component Occurrence" a.k.a "sBOM ID Path" for a model item, so that a 100+ part assembly would not require the manual creation of 100+ model items, and each could be highlighted sequentially (using java-script functionality) with associated parameters (replacement part numbers, etc.)
    2. Or have some widget you can drag onto a model that says "create all model items" which eliminates a lot of user error, and allows access to every component occurrence within a model via sBOM ID Path.

The attached image may give you an idea of how I'm stretching the current capabilities of Vuforia Studio, and have a vision for where it could go. I'm sure your team has already thought of a lot of this 🙂

Thanks!

Wes

ooh!

I thought of another one that would be awesome:

• The ability to group widgets for billboard view

• for instance imagine you have three 3D labels with clickable functionality. The first goes back a step, the second is play/pause and the third goes forward a step (in a sequence). If you make them all billboard, then when you walk around to the other side (180 degrees) the arrows will be pointing the wrong ways, and have confusing functionality. If you could group them all, and select which one would function as the pivot point (or average the center) then they could stay in the proper R-to-L order no matter where they were viewed from. please see attached image
  • The principle same could be useful for grouping to create a dialog box and some associated widgets that are placed in the same 2D plane.

Thanks,

Wes

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

@Wes_Tomer you can already add folders as needed to Resources. You need to create the folder outside of the Studio interface but then you can view, add & remove content from them in the Studio interface. Here are some images that should explain this.

2019-05-14 11_14_16-Design - Vuforia Studio.png

2019-05-14 11_15_02-resources.png

Organization through the computer file browser - very nice tip. Thank you for this!

I first tried to create a folder within the Uploaded folder, and this did not work -- So I created a folder at the same level as Uploaded and Default and this did work.

Top Tags