cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Trouble converting E57 file to area scan

ClayHelberg
17-Peridot

Trouble converting E57 file to area scan

Hi folks--

I have an E57 point cloud scan from a customer, and I'm trying to make an area target from it. I run it through the Area Target Generator app, which reports success and no warnings/errors, and it generates a bunch of files in the target folder.

Unfortunately, I am running into the issue described here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Matterport-Integration-with-ATG/m-p/792640. Specifically, it doesn't generate the file *_authoring.glb, and Vuforia Studio won't use the target without that file.

What I've tried:

• The solution in that article, trying to extract it from the 3dt file. I've opened it as a zip file, and see many "cube_*" and "point_*" files inside, and a couple of JSON files, but no GLB file
  • Updated the Area Target Generator app to the latest version. No improvement
  • I tried opening some of the other area target files as ZIP archives to see if it's lurking somewhere else, but didn't find the authoring GLB file

The scan is quite large (~11GB), so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Anyway, how can I find the authoring.glb file, if it's not generated directly and not found inside the authoring.3dt file?

[Also, why doesn't the Area Target Generator automatically produce this authoring.glb file? Or alternately, why doesn't Vuforia Studio automatically retrieve it from the 3dt file when loading an area target?]

--Clay

3 REPLIES 3
sebben
12-Amethyst
(To:ClayHelberg)

Hi,

as far as I know Area Targets from a E57 scan are not supported in Vuforia Studio.

Unfortunately I don't have a E57 scan to test it.

Is there a nevmesh.glb file included in with the Area Target? If so, maybe you can just copy and rename it to authoring.glb and work with this.

Hi @sebben --

Thanks for the reply. Area targets are created using the Vuforia Area Target Generator app, which supports both direct Matterport scans and E57 data. I have generated area scans from other E57 datasets, and was able to use the instructions in the community post I linked to above to generate a complete area target for use with Vuforia Studio. It's unclear why this particular dataset doesn't generate the authoring.glb file the way other datasets do when processed with the Area Target Generator app. The app reports no errors or warnings, and seems to produce all the other required files.

I will try your suggestion of copying the navmesh.glb as a substitute and see if that works.

Update: I did as you suggested, copying navmesh.glb and using it as authoring.glb. This lets me load the area target into Studio, but the area target is all white dots, so it is very difficult to use for positioning other models and 3D content. I am still looking for a way to tackle this. I may need to resort to using a point cloud editor to decimate the point cloud in hopes that it will enable the Area Target Generator app to generate a complete area target including the authoring.glb model.

--C

Top Tags