cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Validate an assembly again a 3d solid in a specit step

lchavarria
10-Marble

Validate an assembly again a 3d solid in a specit step

Hello all, hope you are safe.

Maybe someone has an idea how to resolve this. I dont know how to validate a step created en Vuforia agains the real model using the model target. The idea is verify if the user has had assembly correctly the real product comparing it agains how the 3d model in that specific step should look like, if not, the user will recibe a warning, if the assembly is correctly them the user could continue with next steps.

Thanks in advance for your time

Luis 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem with model targets for checking is that there's a built-in  tolerance of up to 10% deviation between the real and virtual object (see here)  so if you're trying to validate something small, then the model target might not pick up the difference.

We're currently working on a project where we are integration an AR experience created in Studio with a machine vision system via ThingWorx and Kepware.  So the user will see the AR animation to show them what to do, then do it, and then they verify it's been done.  When they run the verification, the camera is sent the step that they are up to and runs the check to see if it is correct or not.  If it passes, the AR moves on to the next step.  If it fails, the AR shows a picture of what it should look like and the user can fix and verify again.  They can't move on in the AR experience until the verification step passes. 

PTC's most recent acquisition looks like they have some technology around this (here), so it will be interested to see how it works when/if it comes to Studio.

Cheers,

Allan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hello all again.

I will summarize my question. My english is broken and may confuse someone. The short question is:

Can I use a model target as a step verification?

Best regards

Luis

Hello @AllanThompson @mwodarz_INNEO 

Both your answers were incredible valuable. Reading you I got 2 ways to roundabout the issue, so thank you guys again.

I hope PTC will introduce Cognitve RA into Vuforia soon.

Best regards and please stay safe.

Luis

I guess the tolerance for model targets are not made to be as precise as you need for a validation. So I would create an animation that highlights the parts to check manually. So it is up to the experience user. The experience can only guide. Just a few blinks or color changes to mark a part and a pop up or an area, where the user can add some check marks.

Maybe the model target algorithm of Vuforia engine might accurate enough to validate an assembly?!

Hope that helps to guide in the right direction. And maybe you can share some results, so other users can benefit from it.

cheers 

Marco

(Presales) Senior Technical Consultant @ INNEO Solutions GmbH (Germany)

The problem with model targets for checking is that there's a built-in  tolerance of up to 10% deviation between the real and virtual object (see here)  so if you're trying to validate something small, then the model target might not pick up the difference.

We're currently working on a project where we are integration an AR experience created in Studio with a machine vision system via ThingWorx and Kepware.  So the user will see the AR animation to show them what to do, then do it, and then they verify it's been done.  When they run the verification, the camera is sent the step that they are up to and runs the check to see if it is correct or not.  If it passes, the AR moves on to the next step.  If it fails, the AR shows a picture of what it should look like and the user can fix and verify again.  They can't move on in the AR experience until the verification step passes. 

PTC's most recent acquisition looks like they have some technology around this (here), so it will be interested to see how it works when/if it comes to Studio.

Cheers,

Allan

Top Tags