cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Vuforia Billboard function-"grouping" to turn together?

newieKek
13-Aquamarine

Vuforia Billboard function-"grouping" to turn together?

Hello All,

Need your advice! 

I hope to learn how to create a "group" in Vurforia view when during Billboard, it will turn together.

I am using a IPAD to view the menu as shown below, the Front view is the menu, as i turn, the button or 3D images mess up, as it does not turn to per the front view.

newieKek_0-1665025615216.png

Can any one provide me some guidance? is there a lab to of step by step guide. 

I am using just Vuforia Studio without any apps or library. Hope someone can guide me.

Thank you in advance!!

Newbie Kek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @newieKek ,

the one possible option is to use instead of 3dwidgets with billboard property settings - to use  then   the mobile 2D view where all 2d widgets in the view are flat to screen and their  position is related to screen coordinates - this will be easiest approach.

On HoloLens we have some widgets /widgets extension allowing to have a good 3d layout of flat widget in space

But  on mobile devices  it is not trivial. So it is possible to find/calculate a good location of the 3d Widget  but so far I know is not so easy. So let say that  you have the perfect location and distribution in space  seen  from particular view (it could be ok only with specific view direction and with specific mobile device position)

In this case we can re calculate - transform the coordinates of the 3d widgets  when the device move and change orientation - where we use the current device eye position , eye direction and top vector. This vectors he can get in eyetrackingEvent which is firing each time when the location and orientation of the device will changed. In this case we can calculate a Transformation matrix and then transform to coordinates of all 3d items  so that they have the same /or nearly the same position regarding the current view. The transformation is simple vector matrix multiplication.  I never did this to achieve a billboard appearance but believe that this could work , but as mention it is  not trivial to implement. The techniques could be similar to the techniques described in Copmmunity Tech Tip https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio-and-Chalk-Tech/How-can-we-make-a-3D-Widget-on-HoloLens-visible-in-front-of-me/ta-p/658541

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @newieKek ,

the one possible option is to use instead of 3dwidgets with billboard property settings - to use  then   the mobile 2D view where all 2d widgets in the view are flat to screen and their  position is related to screen coordinates - this will be easiest approach.

On HoloLens we have some widgets /widgets extension allowing to have a good 3d layout of flat widget in space

But  on mobile devices  it is not trivial. So it is possible to find/calculate a good location of the 3d Widget  but so far I know is not so easy. So let say that  you have the perfect location and distribution in space  seen  from particular view (it could be ok only with specific view direction and with specific mobile device position)

In this case we can re calculate - transform the coordinates of the 3d widgets  when the device move and change orientation - where we use the current device eye position , eye direction and top vector. This vectors he can get in eyetrackingEvent which is firing each time when the location and orientation of the device will changed. In this case we can calculate a Transformation matrix and then transform to coordinates of all 3d items  so that they have the same /or nearly the same position regarding the current view. The transformation is simple vector matrix multiplication.  I never did this to achieve a billboard appearance but believe that this could work , but as mention it is  not trivial to implement. The techniques could be similar to the techniques described in Copmmunity Tech Tip https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio-and-Chalk-Tech/How-can-we-make-a-3D-Widget-on-HoloLens-visible-in-front-of-me/ta-p/658541

Top Tags