cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

What's New in Vuforia Studio 8.3.3

tmccombie
21-Topaz I

What's New in Vuforia Studio 8.3.3

Vuforia Studio

• Support for Spanish locale
  • Model sequences can be applied at design time
  • Bug fixes and minor improvements

Vuforia View

• Support for Spanish locale
  • HoloLens:
    • Support for model-based tracking
    • Support for sequence animations created with Creo Illustrate 4.1 and later
  • Windows:
    • Support for spatial tracking
      • NOTE: Currently only the Microsoft Surface Book and Microsoft Surface Pro 4 are supported.
  • Bug fixes and minor improvements

Experience Service (On-Premises)

• Support for Spanish locale for the installer
  • Model target generation as a service (Beta)
27 REPLIES 27

Thanks, Tara. Can you give a little more information about this item:

• Model sequences can be applied at design time

It's not clear to me what that means, or when I would want to use it (or not). Thanks.

--Clay

Hi Clay,

This feature allows you to view your model during design as it will show in the experience based on the sequence selected. It is a check box found under the sequence selector for the model.

model loaded into Studiomodel loaded into Studiosequence applied at design timesequence applied at design time

Hope this helps! 

It does, thanks!

Hi @tmccombie,

This is great and I"m already finding this useful, but now I"m going one of those customers that asks for more. Smiley Happy

It would be great if the sequence could be applied when capturing the detection position for a model target.  While it's great that it can be applied at design time, so when I'm building the experience, I can see what the model will look like when loaded based on the sequence, if I'm using a model target, I'm back to having the mess of everything visible for my detection position, so there's often extra stuff that will get captured in the outline.

To get around this, I've sometimes had to upload another model file that has the model "clean" and then use this model as the target and make it not visible in the experience.

Many thanks,

Allan

Yes i too typically upload a separate "tracking" model for my experiences using Model Tracking. Typically because the model i want to use for AR either has too much or too little 3D stuff in it for tracking to work well. So if i could use a sequence frame zero while setting the detection position i could just create a sequence in Illustrator that only has the items i want for detection visible. This would reduce the size of my experiences and simplify the process.

@AllanThompson @jmikesell Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure this gets back to our Product Owners/Managers. 

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:tmccombie)

@tmccombie So i thought one of the uses for the "Apply sequence at design time" would be to allow easy picking of model items. As in you can set your model to an exploded state, apply it in design and then create all your modelItems and switch back to the default state.

It seems that when you create the modelItems in this applied state they take their position from where they are in 3D at creation time. Which means you can never go back to that unexploded state. It also really messes up any sequences you have as the items will be in this wrong position until they first time they are moved in the sequence and then will jump to their correct initial position and move as defined in the sequence.

The take away here is: Do not create model items in an applied sequence state!

If anyone knows a way to reset like 100 model items positions please let me know. 😞

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:jmikesell)

Perfect timing on this release, i was minutes away from redoing hours worth of work.

8.3.4 provides a fix for the mode item problem I was having. Prior to 8.3.3 you could get a modelitem to "refresh" it's coordinates, as in set them back to what they are in the assembly by typing a "/" after the occurrence ID. This was not working in 8.3.3. but it is now working again in 8.3.4.

Here is the procedure. Simply select your modelItem and add a slash "/" at the end of the occurrence ID. As soon as you type this you should see the coordinates update. You can then delete the slash and the coordinates will remain. I'm not sure what will happen if you leave the slash on the end.

2018-09-24 09_56_51-.png2018-09-24 09_57_10-.png

Before anyone mentions that I could have just typed in 0 for "z", this was a bad example. Most of my items have non-zero values for the correct coordinates.

As best i can tell there is now a checkbox under "Sequence" for Model widget items that says "Apply sequence at design time" If you check this the component visibility defined in the sequence is applied in the design 3D view, but not any animation steps in the sequence.

All my sequences start with the parts in the same position so i'm not sure if you had Step 0 defined with parts in a different position maybe the parts in design would go to that location when you picked that sequence?

2018-08-27 13_03_14-Design - Vuforia Studio.png

Thanks. I had found the control in the Studio UI, but wasn't sure what the effect was. I think I get it now.

--C

This seems like it will be helpful for checking imports from Illustrate and possibly for when trying to pick internal parts to apply ModelItems too. Now if we could just get grouping and hiding of objects in the "Tree" like in Creo...

Yes, I was actually wondering if this feature might solve the problem I described in https://community.ptc.com/t5/Studio/Position-of-modelItem-is-wonky/m-p/565101

As for modelItem grouping, yes, it would be very helpful to have a BOM-like tree control to choose from. However, I've been able to get pretty far by hacking the "Component Occurrence" property. It's a hierarchical path to the part in the assembly, so to get ancestor sub-assembly for a specific part, just start deleting path components from the end of the path, and it will select higher "groups" or assemblies. For example, if your modelItem selects a part with Component Occurrence "/5/1/2", you can select the direct parent by removing the "/2" from the end, resulting in "/5/1". For a deeply nested, part, you can keep working your way up the tree until you get to the level you want.

You can also take a more direct route: in Creo Illustrate, select the subassembly you want to create a modelItem for, and open its Part Properties and check the Attributes panel. There should be an entry called "sBOM ID Path", which gives the string you need to reference this subassembly in within the assembly. You should be able to paste that into the modelItem Component Occurrence field and have it pick the right subassembly.

sbom_path.png

Yes i too have figured most of that, but finding the path from the sBOM properties is great. I had just been counting places (starting at 0, not 1) in the tree. However i have also found this can get you into problems as it will allow you to assign two ModelItems to the same part which will cause odd/unpredictable behavior. You can also assign one ModelItem to a sub assembly and another to a component in that sub assembly which will also cause buggy behavior. Actually just assigning a ModelItem to an assembly does not seem to be supported well, it works for visibility, color, position; most things except for Click Action. Which is unfortunate if you want to treat a sub assembly as a unit part in your experience.

I'm going to go comment on your other post i have seen similar and might have some insight.

Also, a big THANK YOU to the dev team for getting Hololens support for newer versions of Creo Illustrate! Smiley Very Happy

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

@tmccombie Is the grouping of ModelItems under the parent Model new? This pretty big news on the large experience organization front!

2018-08-27 15_14_28-Design - Vuforia Studio.png

@jmikesell yes, this is a new improvement to the 3D container. 

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

@tmccombie it seems that with the new 3D container you can no longer drag modelItems in the tree to reorder them. Not drag them out of the 3D container but just reorder in the container. This is a loss of functionality that should be fixed.

@tmccombie The new grouping is really great, but it seems that now we've lost some capabilities:

1. I can't select a modelitem in the 3D view any more.
  2. When I select a modelitem in the project tree, it doesn't highlight in the 3D view.

This seems to happen once I go out of a project and come back in after creating a modelitem and it only seems to apply to HoloLens experiences.

@AllanThompson I have reproduced this and reported it to our R&D team. 

I have confirmed with our development team that this is a known bug and will be fixed in the upcoming 8.3.4 release.

I've just updated to 8.3.4 and can confirm that the problem with highlighting of model items is fixed

I just starting building an experience in 8.3.3 and loss of highlighting the 3D on tree select and picking items in 3D that @AllanThompson mentioned is a real problem.

If you use modelItems I would not upgrade to this version and wait for this to be fixed.

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite

Hi Tara,

I want to know about the following.

• Model target generation as a service (Beta)

thanks,

Preeti

randerson-3
14-Alexandrite

It seems like after this update my Windows laptop does will not show me the camera anymore. I just get a black background. 

I have tried resetting the app and uninstalling it but the problem persists. Any idea how to fix this? Or if there will be an update shortly to fix this issue? 

randerson-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:randerson-3)

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with Windows devices not showing the camera? We are having an issue as we are needing to demonstrate Vuforia from a Windows device.

I just tried an experience on a Surface Pro 3 with View 83.3.478.0 and it worked without problems.

randerson-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:jmikesell)

I'm using a Dell M4800, it used to work with the old version and now it doesn't.

Top Tags