cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

What's New in Vuforia Studio 8.3.4

tmccombie
21-Topaz I

What's New in Vuforia Studio 8.3.4

Vuforia Studio

• New Studio Language option available from the '...' menu
  • Experience QR Code is now available from the Share Experience action
  • Bug fixes and minor improvements

Vuforia View

• 3D objects now cast shadows (mobile devices only)
  • iOS:
    • Support for iOS 12
  • HoloLens:
    • Support for downloading Experiences

Experience Service (On-Premises)

• Model Target support for on-premises deployments

Be sure to also check out the newly updated Vuforia Studio Best Practices document found on the Studio Tech Tips Board: Vuforia Studio Best Practices

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @tmccombie,

There are some great updates in 8.3.4 but it would nice for the documentation to explain things a bit better.

For example, the new automatic shadows are brilliant and they even update live for sequence animations, but there's nothing to explain that you need to select the 3D Container in the Project and check the option to Cast Object Shadows.  While you can find this in the help, the update notes say that it's new in the View app, so I went through the following process:

• Update the View app and load an experience and see that shadows don't work
  • Look in the app settings to see if there's a new option that needs to be set
  • Consider updating to iOS 12 because maybe I need that.  Realise that I don't because according to the notes, it should work on Android too.
  • Go to an experience and see if there's a new option for the model widget
  • Go to the help and search for shadow and find the page that describes the 3D Container widget

I'm willing to bet plenty of other people have done something similar.

While it's great that the release notes point out these new features, it would be really helpful if they also pointed us to exactly how to implement them.  Yes, I should RTFM, but that's one of the main reasons why we do stuff in AR - to avoid having to read the documentation. Smiley Happy

Another issue, when I minimise the Studio application window on a Windows 10 machine, it doesn't just minimise to the notification area, the main icon stays open in the taskbar.

But I'm loving the shadows, the HoloLens download option and the QR code generation. 

chcote
6-Contributor
(To:AllanThompson)

Thanks very much for this feedback, Allan - we'll look to improve this going forward

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:tmccombie)

Prior to 8.3.4 you could close the "Vuforia Studio" launcher window and the Studio node would continue to run from the notification area and you wouldn't have the Studio icon cluttering the task bar. Now in 8.3.4 closing the launcher window kills the node, and the "exit" button is now redundant.

I feel the prior implementation was better all around given you can't do much from the Launcher window and everything happen in the browser. Any chance we can return to this previous model, or provide an option to minimize to notification area? Yes I know this doesn't fit the Windows 10 design guidelines.

chcote
6-Contributor
(To:jmikesell)

Yes, this behavior is expected to revert in our next release. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:tmccombie)

In 8.3.4 it seems that the progress bars and details are no longer shown when publishing a project. You used to see how many files as it zipped them and then the size of the package as it uploaded. Now all you get is "Processing Project" and "Publishing Project", with no details.

While I don't really care about the qty of files it was nice to see the upload size every time you published just to keep that top of mind and make sure your project has not become bloated.

Any chance we can get this back in the next version?

chcote
6-Contributor
(To:jmikesell)

That step is still present. We have however removed some large files from the default publish set which is why it might be occurring very quickly

Top Tags