cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

999 pages, exactly

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

999 pages, exactly

I notice in Mathcad questtions that you can go to page 999, which is exactly filled to the bottom of the page. That's either an astonishing coincidence, or everything beyond page 999 has just been deleted (because whoever wrote the software for the forums can't handle numbers as large as 1000), and presumably every time someone adds a new thread, one more thread will be deleted from the current content. Please tell me I'm wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Actually, now that I count them more carefully, there are 22 posts on page 999 when you have 30 topics per page, and the last post is the same as the last post you see with 100 topics per page. So maybe it really is just chance that there are only 8 topics left before it ticks over to page 1000 Smiley Surprised

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

From what I have seen so far in this new forum software I am not surprised.

But I guess the threads still are here.

I have set my preferences to show 100 threads per page

[ My settings - PREFERENCES - Linear Layout - Linear Format: Topics per page ]
you will get an error message whenf you press  "Save" but the values you entered are accepted and saved nonetheless

and I go up to page 300 where I see approx. 60 thread topics. The last twenty or so topics  by users whose user name seemed to got lost (N/A) with the (presumably dummy) date 1999-09-17 09:00 AM.

This would make up for about 29960 threads which looks reasonable to me.

The number 169439 we see in the overwied seem to posts, not threads, so its a quite useless number.

That you can't chose a page number higher than 999 is a bug in the software nonetheless.

EDIT: Thats crazy: I copied the date from the last post in the list an inserted it here via ctrl-C. I see it when I edit this post, but not when I send it.

This is how it looks in the editor:

Bild.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Actually, now that I count them more carefully, there are 22 posts on page 999 when you have 30 topics per page, and the last post is the same as the last post you see with 100 topics per page. So maybe it really is just chance that there are only 8 topics left before it ticks over to page 1000 Smiley Surprised

You may set your preferences to 10 threads per page and see if the page numbers run over 999 😉

Ot just wait - given your count is correct we are just 9 threads away from knowing for sure 😉

I guess the posts prior to 1999 were already lost in the first migration from the collab to PTC Jive.

EDIT: Couldn't resist - 10 threads per page -> 2997 pages with 3 entries on the last one.

Makes a total of 29963 threads.

So it seems that all is OK (at least in that respect).

And I did not get that error message when changing the value - so they already fixed that bug.

Top Tags