cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

I finally found a 'Start a Topic' button!

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

I finally found a 'Start a Topic' button!

...after stumbling around this frustrating site for 10 minutes. So I'm posting this here. Admins can feel free to move it or whatever (like make your site easier to navigate).

Is there a way to set up an on-demand publishing of a .step file (through the Windchill interface)?

We currently publish PDF and PVZ files. Our purchasing agents would like to be able to send out .step files. I don't want to publish .step for every file we ever check in, but I'd like them to have the abiltiy to publish for whatever files they need.

TYIA.

15 REPLIES 15
BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:DonSenchuk)

Can you tell me where it is?  I haven't found it yet.

No wonder there are a lack of posts.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BillF)

Go to Browse, Creo, Additional Creo questions (or creo modeling questions).

Then near the top right, there is a start a topic button.

start1.jpg

start2.jpg

That's awesome! Thanks!

Now, for the question I wanted addressed, just have to find Creo View in that Browse menu. Let's see, Creo View, Creo View, Creo View... nothing.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Correct.

One of the many many problems with this new structure is, well, there is no structure.

Currently, I would put Creo View questions under "additional Creo questions"

All hope is not lost, there is work being done behind the scenes to correct the lack of structure so maybe in the near future we will see a much improved community (with structure!)!!

I hear ya.

Hopefully, someday, software will be developed that will make browsing and posting to a post and counter-post web site easier than this. Maybe we could put our heads together and come up with something.

I propose we call this a type of web site a "forum". I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that we should search around the internets to see if this is already a thing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if "forums" have been a thing for over a decade? And they've been refined enough that people don't run into this sort of problem?

It would give me a real laugh to have come up with that idea just now only to find out it's something that already exists and works well for hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people all over the internet!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I wish I had thought of that!! Smiley Very Happy

It's 2022 and I cannot find the Browse menu to get to Ask a Question. I don't think anyone at PTC is doing anything to help us. Can someone post a direct link to the Ask a Question location?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:cbroach)

It depends on which sub portion of the software you are using.

If you are in Creo: 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric/ct-p/creoparametric

Then there are sub-topics under that.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/bd-p/partassemblydesign

Within those are "Start A Topic" Buttons.

Dale_Rosema_0-1663005172699.png

Thanks!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You are in the Community so that is the first step.

Go back to the top level, then choose your product and then sub-group for your question.

When you get that far, you see this:

BenLoosli_0-1663005194675.png

Start a Topic is where you ask a new question within that subject area.

BillF
13-Aquamarine

If you open an area in https://community.ptc.com/t5/All-PTC-Products/bd-p/allproducts the green bar with the area name has a Start a Topic button on the right side.

upload_-aW1hZ2UwMDEucG5n-6188161509701108781..png

This electronic message including any attachments ("Message") may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under trade secret and other applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, permanently delete all copies of this Message, and be aware that examination, use, dissemination, duplication or disclosure of this Message is strictly prohibited.
BillF
13-Aquamarine

Like the other step-child (Schematics) that gets no love from the parent, you have to use the general Creo area and do an appropriate search to find things that relate.

@DonSenchuk wrote:

That's awesome! Thanks!

Now, for the question I wanted addressed, just have to find Creo View in that Browse menu. Let's see, Creo View, Creo View, Creo View... nothing.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BillF)

Unfortunately all products or apps or ?? got thrown in to the big bucket nothingness.

I'm very much hoping that the forum admins get the next iteration closer to something reasonable otherwise it may drive participation down to nothing (which is only a post or 2 below where we are today)

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

If you kill it, they won't come.....

If you kit it, they won't come....

Movie sequel?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

If you kill it, they won't come.....

If you kit it, they won't come....

Movie sequel?