cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

PTC Community Software Resources

DanMarotta
2-Guest

PTC Community Software Resources

To get the most out of PTC Community we've compiled a short list of free PTC product downloads, limited-time trials, and other resources (some for free, some available on a trial basis, and some available for purchase) to help members interact more. This document is open for all members to contribute to, please feel free edit/add a resource to this list as new options become available.

Free PTC Software Downloads

PTC Creo

PTC Creo Parametric Free Trial

A 30-day free trial of PTC Creo Parametric and PTC Creo Flexible Modeling Extension

PTC Creo Sketch

Free 2D sketching for designers, easily convert your ideas to a 2D drawing

PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0

A free version of PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling 19.0 direct modeling software

PTC Creo View Express

View PTC Creo 2D and 3D MCAD designs and visualize ECAD data

PTC Creo View Mobile

A 3D CAD viewer software download for iPad and iPhone

PTC Creo View Interface for ECAD

Enables PTC Creo View .eda file generation for use with PTC Creo View ECAD and PTC Creo View ECAD

PTC Mathcad

PTC Mathcad Express

Unlimited use of the most popular capabilities in the commercial version of PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1.

PTC Mathcad 15 30-Day Trial

The full commercial version of PTC Mathcad 15 free for 30-days.

Free Plug-ins for PTC Mathcad Users

PTC Windchill

PTC Windchill Quality Solutions Free Trial

A 30-day free trial of the reliability analysis toolkit

PTC Arbortext

PTC Arbortext Editor with Styler 6.1 Free Trial

A 14 day free trial of the structured authoring tool

Arbortext IsoView Free Trial

A 60 day free trial of the intelligent technical graphics viewer

PTC University

PTC University Expert Model Analysis: Free 30-day trial

PTC Academic Software

PTC Creo Free Student Edition

Other Free Resources & Downloads

Please Note: PTC does not provide or endorse any of the resources or products mentioned below, download and use at your own risk.

Math Symbols

Math symbols (in HTML) - HTML Entities for symbols, mathematical symbols, and Greek letters.

Unicode Math Symbols - A table of all the available unicode math symbols and their corresponding character values

Zip/Compression Utilities

WinZip - open all major compression file types including: Zip, Zipx, RAR, 7Z, TAR, GZIP, VHD, XZ and more.

7-Zip - open source file archiver with a high compression ratio. Supports: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM.

PowerArchiver - create ZIP, ZIPX, 7-Zip, ISO, CAB, TAR and open 30+ formats.

Screen Annotations

ZoomIt from SysInternals - free tool that lets you dynamically zoom and annotate your screen while working.

SwordSoft Screenink - easily capture and annotate anything on the screen including full-screen, rectangle and freeform shape.

Video Capture Software

Camtasia Studio - video creation tool that allows you to capture anything on your screen.

Camstudio - free, open-source screen capture tool that is a good alternative to the commercial Camtasia Studio.

My Screen Recorder - records your PC desktop activity into standard WMV or AVI video files.

Jing - capture basic video, animation, and still images, and share them on the web.

Screenr - a simple web-based screen recorder, making it easy to record and share quick screencasts.

Screencast-O-Matic - web-based screen capture recording for Windows or Mac.

Image Cropping

Snagit - capture anything on your screen, an entire desktop, region, or scrolling window from any webpage or app.

Gimp - free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing.

FastStone - capture and annotate anything on the screen (Windows only)

Paint.NET - free image and photo editing software for PC

Snipping Tool - screen cropping program that comes with Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 machines.

• In Windows 7: Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool.
  • In Windows 8/8.1: Swipe from the right edge of the screen, tap Search, entering Snipping Tool in the search box, and then tap or click Snipping Tool.

PDF Reader/Creator/Editor

Adobe Acrobat - view, create, manipulate, print and manage PDF files.

DeskPDF - edit text and images, digitally sign, secure and create PDF files

PDFill - an inexpensive alternative to Adobe Acrobat

PDF 995 - free PDF viewing, creation, and editing suite (Windows only)

Foxit Reader - create, open, view, sign, and print any PDF file.

Audio Recording/Editing

Audacity - free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds.

Audio Record Wizard - record sounds on your PC from a microphone, a file, or anything you can plug into your sound card.

WavePad - full-featured professional audio and music editor for Windows and Mac.

IrfanView - photo editing program that gives you the tools to touch up and add effects to your photos.

Image Converters

Vector Magic - convert bitmap images like JPEGs, GIFs and PNGs to scalable vector files like EPS, SVG, and PDF.

Pixillion - convert or compress thousands of photos at a time with batch conversion.

Convert My Image - web-based conversion tool which allows you to convert JPG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, PDF, PS, EPS, TIF, XPM, PIC, & RPG files

Text Editor:

Notepad++ - Free/Donation - Feature rich text editor for Programming/coding with Syntax highlighting, Define your own language [which is especially useful for several text files within Creo Parametric (BOM, Config.pro, config.sup, etc)], undo history, Great searching features, tabbed view to have several files open at once, etc.

21 REPLIES 21

Does anyone have any free or semi-affordable software that would help members with their interactions on the communtiy?

For mathcad fonts can add MathText font, somewhere in the net.Or MathcadUnimath. Mathcad resource says that it is avaible at http://www.appliedsymbols.com/MathcadUniMath.pdf but seems that the link is broken. (check at the end of QuickSheets/Extra math symbols)

Also have those places in microsoft for download the prerequisites for mathcad.

¿SnagIt? It have a temporary folder that always grows and can't be deleted easy. Better xnview and others.

Regards. Alvaro.

Alvaro,

I've never used xnview, but I'll check it out, based on your recommendation.  Since this is a wiki, can you go ahead and add it right into the list - to make it comprehensive and current?

can you go ahead and add it right into the list - to make it comprehensive and current?

Can, but isn't just that easy to modify documents writed by others; isn't the same make comments.

Regards. Alvaro.

I can recommend anything from the Portable Apps Suite: http://portableapps.com/apps

Including Blender, Gimp, Audacity, Virtual Dub, PeaZip, PDFTK Builder, ...

Ohh - and I can of course strongly recommend CoCreate Personal Edition:

http://www.ptc.com/offers/tryout/pe3.htm

Regards,

Michael

See my addition made to the document:

Cam Studio is a free open source screen recording software that is very useful for recording Pro/ENGINEER demo's 😉

http://camstudio.org/

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:DanMarotta)

Irfanview for images. Wingrab for screen shots.

Both superb, orignally passed to me by jMG.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Irfanview and Wingrab for images.

Mike

Dan,
The link on Mathcad 30-Day Trial in the main post does not work .

P.S. Also, I think, it is necessary to add the reference on Creo Elements/View Express: http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=40213.

Mike, feel free to edit the wiki to add your suggestions.

Nice catch Vladimir. I updated the link with the new Mathcad 30-Day trial page. Snuck Creo Elements/View in there too

Dan,

You have added the link on  Creo Elements/View, but the link on Mathcad still does not work. Correct links:

Mathcad Prime 1.0: http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-prime-1-0/free-trial.htm

Mathcad 15.0: http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm

Dan,

I would also like to offer to host a link to a program that easily convert bitmap images
to clean vector art (it is relevant to those working with Arbortext IsoDraw) - "Vector Magic", here: http://vectormagic.com/home

Updated with your comments. Thanks! And keep them coming or feel free to edit this document on your own.

Daniel,

1. Thanks for the update. I just noticed that I can edit it by yourself using the "Edit document".

2. Checked all the links in the document - they works fine. Added some comments to the programs. Added links to new programs: "Creo Sketch" and a great site/resource about 3D scanning from photos "Hypr3D" (I wrote more about it here: http://communities.ptc.com/message/172417).

1. Thanks for the update. I just noticed that I can edit it by yourself using the "Edit document".

I'm surprised this hasn't caught on. Wikis are powerful collaboration tools. The Mathcad Community I think have the most to gain from this. Their collaboration on worksheets is the perfect model. They chime in and work through iterations of the worksheet until there's nothing but an elegant solution left.

Having to page thru discussion threads to find the attachment that contains the "Correct" answer doesn't seem efficient to me.

2. Checked all the links in the document - they works fine. Added some comments to the programs. Added links to new programs: "Creo Sketch" and a great site/resource about 3D scanning from photos "Hypr3D" (I wrote more about it here: http://communities.ptc.com/message/172417).

Thanks for performing the due diligence and those are two great adds!

For those who may have trouble getting usefull software past their company IT, not that I would know from experience (Grrr...), I have found ScreenCastomatic, a web-based Video Capture software which requires no installation to run, very useful for short howto videos.  Free version is very limited but paid version is inexpensive and with more features.  Although basic, it is a great work around to making videos...at least providing IT doesn't find out you are being productive...

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it to the document under the 'Video Capture Software' heading.

I just added the text editor section with Notepad++.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
slapha
15-Moonstone

Slightly related, one of my all time favorite resource sites for finding alternative software packages, such as we have listed in the free resources & downloads.

http://alternativeto.net/

Great when you can't get management to fund a full copy of Photoshop to do a simple picture edit.

It lists out resources like we have above for different alternatives, commercial and open-source/free/etc.

Not all solutions are comparable in capability, but it's a good tool to start research.

Top Tags