cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

ChangeTypeSql utility - Converting non reference document type to soft type of reference doc

MB_10525378
2-Guest

ChangeTypeSql utility - Converting non reference document type to soft type of reference doc

In ChangeTypeSQL utility, it is written that "Not supported for converting Non-Reference Documents that were linked to WTParts as a "Reference Document" refer below. 

1.JPG

Converting a Reference Document to any other WTDocument type. Converting a non-reference document to a Reference Document is also not supported if WTParts are attached the document type.

We are converting objects of a soft type that is created under wt.doc.WTDocument to a new soft type created under com.ptc.ReferenceDocument. based on the reference documents section in this article, it seems this is not advisable. on a lower env, we executed this conversion and ran some tests and results are good. Does anyone have more detail on this? what will fail here. 

2 REPLIES 2
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:MB_10525378)

As it describes, Reference Documents are different and there is some functionality based on that type. For example, you cannot link a Reference Document as a describe by link to a Part. Other document types will work in either case but I gather that's the main reason. The utility was just not coded to handle some of this corner cases so they gave that warning.  Honestly, I think the original concept using soft types made sense to build in those restrictions but you quickly see where it falls apart. For example, if a user created a reference document by mistake and later decided that they wanted to a describe by link that that document, there was no way to change your mind.  We have the same problem with many of the soft-typing and have moved away from them. Users simply do not know what will come later or sometimes choose wrong type. I have a custom utility that can change types but as admin, I use it sparingly. I accept the risk but so far, its worked well over the years. 

Since we have Part to Document Association Logic preference set to Yes, system will allow to link any type of document to both describe and reference by links. so we are not expecting it as problem. I understand if some customer has it as No and than if they convert, it can create problem to existing links. 

Thanks for your reply. 

MB_10525378_0-1685123997235.png

Announcements
Top Tags