cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Continuous synchronisation of data between PROD and DEV

Sha11
12-Amethyst

Continuous synchronisation of data between PROD and DEV

Hello Community,

My client is looking for a way to continuously synchronise data from PROD to DEV server. For example, if an assembly is modified in PROD, the same updates need to be propagated to DEV system so that any update that they may do in DEV will utilize the latest BOM. Could you tell me if you have faced with such requirement and what is the best possible way to go about the same?

Thanks,

Sha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:Sha11)

So dev is PROD+ any changes in DEV, right? This does not seem like a good strategy. If DEV is truly for customization and configuration development, it should be easy to keep PROD in sync via a good change control system. Changes start in DEV and move to PROD, not the other way. Data like cad, BOMs and docs are less critical in DEV and you should only need a small representative set to validate processes and customizations. Another thing to consider is data security. Any critical business data now exists in two places. If I was a black hat, attacking DEV would presumably be easier to yield the same results.

Do they have a TEST environment? I would recommend this as an intermediary. TEST is a clone of PROD on a regular basis. DEV is just like I said, small data only for validating and working out new stuff. Promote to TEST, execute TEST scripts and then promote to PROD.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Sha11 

I've known one customer where administrator did production clone every month and every time he rehost the clone to dev system. 

So he kept the updated dev/test system every week. 

All work had automated by scripting. 

also customization what was done on the test system before clone was lost,

but after cloning operation he additionally applied the customization for dev system. 

personally I've never needed that each change/operation should be propagated instantly to dev system  

PetrH

Sha11
12-Amethyst
(To:HelesicPetr)

@HelesicPetr , Thank you for the response. I initially suggested the same solution but the constraint here was the business does not want to lose any data from DEV system since they may have done some changes to the BOM already. Because of this constraint, rehost did not seem to be a viable option.

d_graham
17-Peridot

@Sha11 are they looking for real time synchronization or would they be ok with automating synchronization every night.

Automating synchronization every night is certainly possible. And I do it without running Rehost Utility, that's overkill.

Sha11
12-Amethyst
(To:d_graham)

Over night synchronization is also acceptable. Could you tell me what are the data that we can synchronize through this process?. From what I gathered, they are looking for CAD date synchronization as well. And how can we automate the process?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

So dev is PROD+ any changes in DEV, right? This does not seem like a good strategy. If DEV is truly for customization and configuration development, it should be easy to keep PROD in sync via a good change control system. Changes start in DEV and move to PROD, not the other way. Data like cad, BOMs and docs are less critical in DEV and you should only need a small representative set to validate processes and customizations. Another thing to consider is data security. Any critical business data now exists in two places. If I was a black hat, attacking DEV would presumably be easier to yield the same results.

Do they have a TEST environment? I would recommend this as an intermediary. TEST is a clone of PROD on a regular basis. DEV is just like I said, small data only for validating and working out new stuff. Promote to TEST, execute TEST scripts and then promote to PROD.

Top Tags