cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

"Revise" Manual version sync

smcvr
14-Alexandrite

"Revise" Manual version sync

Hi Community!

I want to enter values manually while version syncing. Is there a method to this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:smcvr)

This is possible in a limited way in a workspace and there is a preference to enable manual setting of revisions:

avillanueva_0-1683287081242.png

Users can create parts and cad docs in a workspace and if they upload only, they can revise items before first check in to advance them to a later starting revision. This takes extreme forethought and after check in, options are limited to address. 

The preference above should allow a drop down to pick a revision from the series on revise of an existing item. I would test that before deploying. Its a lot of power in users hands to make a mess.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Could you be a bit more specific? 

Are you talking about picking revision values manually? Or updating attributes manually? 

smcvr
14-Alexandrite
(To:Dobi)

smcvr_0-1683268522625.png

Hi @Dobi ;

When I want to version, I want to manually set the value in the red field.
For example here it goes from the first version to the second version. I don't want to skip this version like this. When I enter the value 5 in the New Version field, I want it to go to the fifth version.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

This is possible in a limited way in a workspace and there is a preference to enable manual setting of revisions:

avillanueva_0-1683287081242.png

Users can create parts and cad docs in a workspace and if they upload only, they can revise items before first check in to advance them to a later starting revision. This takes extreme forethought and after check in, options are limited to address. 

The preference above should allow a drop down to pick a revision from the series on revise of an existing item. I would test that before deploying. Its a lot of power in users hands to make a mess.

smcvr
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Can I impose authorization restrictions on users after turning this feature on?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

What kind of restrictions? You can limit who can revise. Anything more than that, you would need to add a listener with custom business rules.

smcvr
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Can you give more details? How will I do it?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

For restricting access to revise, that is just straight ACLS in the Policy Admin. You cannot limit who can use this feature to change the next available revision when revising. As for customization, the customer's guide detailed how to create a listener. You'd be listening on the revise event and then interrogating to see if it meets any custom restrictions you want to implement. That's a bigger conversation but let's start with what you mean by imposing authorization restrictions. 

I urged caution since 99% of the time, uses should accept the next revision as presented by the system. Allowing users to change opens up the possibility for users to from 02 to 09 and for what reason would that be? If you wanted fix it or insert 06 rev, you have to do some deletions and recreations. It can get messy.

They only time I ever need to muck with revs is on initial creation. Sometimes we bring in data that starts life at a higher revision. I've resorted to DB edits to handle these since its rare but would like to add an action to alter revision.

Top Tags