Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to include thumbnail navigation in promotion objects table

Ability to include thumbnail navigation in promotion objects table

Users would like to be able to include the thumbnail navigation column in promotion object table like in search or folder tables.

11 Comments
Garnet

I was looking to create a similar product idea to include the Thumbnail Navigator to the Change Summary table.  But instead I will piggyback on this existing product idea.  I think it is very similar.  In general, allow Thumbnail Navigator in many more table views.

Some use cases for the Change Summary table:

• Easily see if the objects have been published (thumbnails will appear).  Instead, today the quickest way is to right-click an object and hover over Open In > only to find out that Creo View is greyed out because it is not yet published.
  • Easily review the CAD and Document associations of the WTPart.  In the example below, we see that the old rev B PDF is still associated to the new rev C WTPart.  It was a missed step (disassociating old PDF document) when converting from PDF to Creo CAD.
  • Flipping over to the Navigate Thumbnails view of the navigator, a quick count of all WTParts on the BOM can be seen, which can help in some quick data validation at a glance for some users.

I'm sure there are more use cases to have the Thumbnail Navigator show up in the workflow process - whether it is Promotion Requests or Change Notices (and Requests and Tasks etc).  Please feel free to add your own use cases.

2016-02-04_10-46-31.png

What a good idea Florent and as Ben says, it should be extended to all tables where such objects have a thumbnails

Hi Florent ,

I too have the same requirement.To

include thumbnail navigation in promotion objects table.

If you the solution,could you please share.

Thanks,

Garnet

Chris C‌ & Anuradha Rajendren‌,

Here is how I added the column to the table.  (Please note this is not supported or recommended.  Use caution.  But it is working fine for me on Production server for a long time.)

1. Go find a table view that you like.  And then click on Export.  You'll get a ZIP file.  In the ZIP file will be an XML file.  You'll need to modify the XML file.
  2. Add the smallThumbnail section to the XML file as shown in the code snippet below.  Also, change the name of the table in the XML file.
  3. Go to import/export manager, and import the newly updated ZIP file.

Caveats:

1. If this new table view is edited in the UI after it has been created, then the thumbnail column will be lost.
  2. You're not able to update the table view.  Instead, if changes are needed, then you need to re-import a new ZIP file (with unique display name).  (And subsequently I've been updating users' ACTIVEVIEWLINK entry in the database to point to the newly-created table.  Again - you need to be cautious and PTC will not support it.)

CODE SNIPPET:

<!-- this is the "object type" column, which is there OOTB -->

<TableColumnDefinition>

<name>objType</name>

<locked>false</locked>

<sortNumber>0</sortNumber>

<treeColumn>false</treeColumn>

<sortDescending>false</sortDescending>

<hidden>false</hidden>

<width>32</width>

</TableColumnDefinition>

<!-- this is the "THUMBNAIL NAVIGATOR" column, which is added to the XML file -->

<TableColumnDefinition>

<name>smallThumbnail</name>

<locked>false</locked>

<sortNumber>0</sortNumber>

<hidden>false</hidden>

<width>0</width>

</TableColumnDefinition>

<!-- this is the "number" column, which is there OOTB -->

<TableColumnDefinition>

<name>objNumber</name>

<locked>false</locked>

<sortNumber>3</sortNumber>

<hidden>false</hidden>

<width>120</width>

</TableColumnDefinition>

Opal

If an end-user like Ben Perry‌ can add it then it should be a no-brainer for PTC.  So why is this marked as Under Consideration?

I guess it still needs to be approved to be added.

Thanks Ben Perry

Can PTC now make it OOTB

Peridot

This is supported in 11.0 M020 Infor Pages for Promotion Request as well as Problem Report, Variance, Change Request and Change Notice (affected/resulting, change summary) tables.  Note as this is an Maintenance release we can't add it to the tables automatically.  Users or admins will have to update their table views to show the new column.

cn summary thumbnail.png

Community Manager
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Aquamarine

@JeffZemsky, do you know if this was implemented for Package tables? Specifically the Package Content and Delivery Content tables?

Peridot

@ScottMorris I do not see it available in attributes list.