cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to remove any selected object from the Workspace even if it is a required dependent

Ability to remove any selected object from the Workspace even if it is a required dependent

Updating out of date objects or canceling changes or both at the same time, can be tedious and time consuming, where if a user could simply just remove the object in question from the workspace and when the parent objects calls for it simply automatically add the latest version back to the Workspace as needed. Windchill already does this in two use cases:

1. Component was suppressed and not added to the Workspace because of dependency setting set to Required. Once unsuppressed, Windchill automatically retrieves the needed component.

2. Object in the Workspace has references to other object (external reference) that were not initially added to the Workspace. Opening such object for editing may result in Windchill fetching the other needed objects.

Manually removing objects with dependencies is a similar use case, that would simplify resolving unwanted object conflicts in the Workspace.

Example: I have an outdated object that has been modified which is a required dependent in an assembly. I cannot simply Update because it is modified, and I cannot simply Add to Workspace because it is out of date. I also cannot just remove the component from the Workspace because it is required for my assembly.

I propose to let the user remove the object no matter what with a warning message that it has required dependencies, and the next time I open the assembly, Windchill should just then retrieve the latest version of that component automatically.

2 Comments
JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite

@aderoo27 

Hi.

Per our private message conversation, I believe that you agree that the WGM will:

• Allow you to remove any dependent in workspace that has already been checked in at least 1 time. 
  • If the child has never been checked in and is used by some assembly or drawing, then it is not allowed.    

This behavior matches your expectation, so I am closing this Idea.

Thanks

Jennifer

SteveShaw
14-Alexandrite
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Intended behavior has been explained to the customer and is working as intended.