Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to use Adobe Illustrator image files as Templates

Ability to use Adobe Illustrator image files as Templates

My customer is a big company in Sweden and they are using our SIM Products, Arbortext and Windchill SIM running on 10.2 M022. Their user base is 30 Authors and up to 100 Illustrators using different tools depending on the requirements form authors and other illustration requestors. The tools they are using are PTC Arbortext IsoDraw and Adobe Illustrator CS 6.

The process of Illustration is mostly starting off from a Template. This means that Illustrator first creates an image from a template in Windchill and afterwards updates that image. This works great for PTC Arbortext IsoDraw.

As it comes to using Adobe Illustrator images as templates, it is not working as we need it to work. Basically images with Authoring Application as GRAPHICSEDITOR are currently filtered out in OOTB code.

Steps to reproduce this with OOTB Windchill

1. 1. Access Windchill server, launch a Windchill Shell and load the template using: windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile. In the attached zip file I have provided example files, one IsoDraw image, one Adobe Illustrator image and also load-files for both Adobe Illustrator and IsoDraw.
  2. 2. Access Windchill as Organization Admininstrator
  3. 3. Navigate to Organization àTemplates and choose the Dynamic Document Templates from the Drop-Down list.
  4. 4. You will notice that the IsoDraw template is visible whereas the Adobe illustrator template is not.
  5. 5. You can also access a Product in Windchill, Navigate Actions à New à New Graphics Information Element. You will not be able to see the Adobe Illustrator Template for the same reason as mentioned above.

What my customer needs it to be able to use Adobe Illustrator files as templates in Windchill.

The fix is to update this class file com/ptc/arbortext/windchill/arbortextutil/TemplateUtil.java to also accept Adobe Illustrator files as valid templates.

1 Comment
PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived