cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Icon Description under Browse Icons

Add Icon Description under Browse Icons

Add the icon description under the Browse icons in PDMLink 10.0

The popup text is not enough.

Preference like the "Toolbar Action Descriptions - Controls the display of the action description under the icon in the toolbar area of tables and trees".

icon description.jpg

6 Comments

I'm trying to understand the need for this feature.

Adding a description will clutter the UI. What kind (and percentage) of users do we expect to benefit from this? Also how often is this a problem? Is this being requested for new users (who will eventually get familiar with the actions performed by their role) and occasional users(for whom most of these common actions should be descriptive enough and they can look up the Help center or ask some one about the rare cases that may not be quite obvious to them)

Aquamarine

There is the entire place to add text like illustrated. The icons are not descriptive enough and I personally prefer to read the command button just like we do with the other command buttons in the environment (with “Toolbar Action Descriptions” preference, you choose to show or not the text under the icons).

Turquoise

We are always talking about being consistent in the UI so why not display the Description to match other areas of PDMLink.

However, there is a preference to display or not display the Description like you show in the workspace image.  I believe the default in earlier versions of PDMLink was not to show the Description because I remember I had to turn it on.

This preference should control the Description display everywhere.

Aquamarine

Thank you Steve for your clear answer.

Participant

We/our users would like the same thing.  As a hopefully temporary solution, I recently considered modifying the icons and adding the text directly to them.  I didn't like the idea, but wasn't sure what else I could do.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged