Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a "Replace Workspace File with Commonspace File" command

Add a "Replace Workspace File with Commonspace File" command

I believe it is fair to say that all Creo users learn to save frequently.  If you save any change in your workspace which you don't want to check in then the only available solution (as best I can tell) is to delete the part from your workspace, then go find it in the commonspace (aka Windchill Cabinet) and put a new copy in your workspace.  This is a time consuming PITA.  We need a better solution.

5 Comments

Does it work as you wish if you select the file in the workspace, file -> Add and uncheck the option "reuse modified workspace content" ?

I agree Doug. For one of my customer it was possible to do this by one click in IntraLink (mark choice and update).
Now in PDMLink it appears the dialog box where you have to do 3 steps just to update the WS object by database object.

Participant

I recommend the approach described by Fabien to Users.  The nice thing is that you can use row checkboxes to multi-select.  This is the scenario I use to explain why to use Add to Workspace by default and to use Check Out to "tag" the models you intend to modify.

That being said, an Icon and available Action to "Overwrite with Server Version" would be a bit more obvious and User freindly... and might save a Click or two.

Fabian, thank you for the suggestion. I live my life cowering in fear of PDMlink.

Why on earth would there be an option in a workspace to add a file (which is already in your workspace) and reuse modified workspace content????  In my view this makes no sense!  The description of this action appears to mean you would not make any change to the workspace file.  When I see things like this it scares me.  If PDMlink is irrational who knows what will happen when you press any button?

The descriptions in PDM link are terrible.  What does "Update" mean.  WTF are you updating???  Updating the commonspace from your workspace or visa-versa?  It's a mystery!  One that can ruin you day/week/month.

The command structure of PDM link is terrible.  The icons are relatively useless - I spend a fair amount of time scrolling over the icons to see the label.  Screw the icons, just give me a list of commands.  And if you want execute a given command where do you find the command?  Left click on the file to see the left click menu?  Try the File, Edit, Or Tools buttons?  or search the icons.  It frequently takes me 5 minutes to assign a commonspace folder to a new file because I am trying to find the stinking command.

I tried Fabian's suggestion.  Now I have two different versions of the same file in my workspace.  This is not what I wanted.  It is realitively easy to fix (except that PDMlink is slower than death tied to a stump, at least in our office).

I frequently want to pull up a model from the commonspace and save a copy (with new names) so I can make modifications and not risk changing production files.  It appears this is not possible without saving the commonspace version in the workspace which completely clogs up my workspace with files I don't want and adds confusion to my daily life.  I don't like confusion or risk.

Another thing which scares me about PDMlink is that I am under the impression that you can fire up Creo, access your workspace, but unless you sync the displayed contents of your workspace may not be accurate.  Am I wrong?  It seems crazy that you can start Creo and it does not sync when you start it. 

I realize file management is inherently complex, but I believe there is vast room for improvement  to PDMlink.  I will admit that PDMlink makes Creo look good.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived