cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add option to show documents in lower structure levels in the Part Structure Browser

Add option to show documents in lower structure levels in the Part Structure Browser

Currently you can only show documents for highlighted parts.  This becomes a problem when a document you are looking for might be in a part that is on a lower level than the part you are highlighting.  It would be nice to have an option to show documents for whatever is highlighted plus anything that is structured below it.

This is a simple example to illustrate.  The lower level part is shown for clarity's sake, but imagine that it isn't.

If I select the top level parts and ask to show documents, I get no documents, even in the part structured below it.

1.png

I must drill down to the next level, highlight the lower level part, and AGAIN ask to show documents to finally get those documents.

2.png

This could be a real pain if you had a part with a few levels of parts underneath it, and you weren't sure which of those parts you ultimately wanted the documents for.  I would propose adding an option or checkbox to show all documents underneath what is highlighted.  Then you could highlight that one part, ask to show documents, and then as you drilled down, everything with documents would automatically have those documents showing.  See below for my proposal.

Capture.PNG

8 Comments
SimonLucas
1-Newbie

you could always expand the entire structure, select entire structure (selct top, 'shift' and select last entry), then show docs for all.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Simon, you have provided a good work-around.  But the reason I agree with this idea and voted it up is because it would be good functionality to do this all with one click instead of multiple clicks.  I think the idea behind "product ideas" is so that work-arounds do not have to be used.

kpritchard
4-Participant

I recall seeing a similar idea that requested that the default behaviour be controlled by a preference.  I'd also like to be able to filter by Document sub-types.  I do use the workaround and agree that it could be a lot smoother.  This becomes increasingly clear when showing this functionality to non Engineering users.

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot

This is an area we have work planned for a future release.  There are two pieces to the work we are looing at

1. Providing simplified process for selecting/changing the status of what is being shown in PSB
  2. Providing defaults for what is shown in PSB.  For example - a user could choose to have CAD Docs shown by default when entering PSB.  We are currently thinking this will include subtypes as well - for example - only show Document soft type called Test Specification.  This will include two capabilities for defaults
    1. Default related items to show when a user enters PSB
    2. Which items should be Shown/Hidden by default when selecting the Show/Hide buttons.

Screen shots to come shortly

kpritchard
4-Participant

Greate News!  Looking forward to seeing it implemented and available.

jreding
1-Newbie

We would also like to be able to display multiple levels of the Documents structured to a Part; document usage.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Under Consideration

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone
Status changed to: Alternate Solution

Setting user preference Structure > Related Information >Part Structure Related Information to "Show and Display Automatically" for the Documents, CAD Documents, etc. will show these related items as you use the controls to expand the structure tree.  Using this preference should provide the desired results.