cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Add the Native PDF file from Representations of Objects to ZIP file from Packages

Add the Native PDF file from Representations of Objects to ZIP file from Packages

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Working in an international defense company I help manage and maintain our instance of Windchill for 500 plus users.

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?
Release: 12.0.2.5

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
When making a delivery in a Package, it creates a ZIP with all the related files from the Package Content. We are currently able to configure the "Set Collection Rules" for the content in the Package to include all "Published Content" however it only provides the .PVZ file type of the Representations.

Set Collection Rules.png

Package ZIP Contents.png

I am aware that it is possible to extract the native PDF file from the .PVZ file however this is not currently acceptable for the delivery of our data to customers.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
A potential solution I've found is with the WVS Afterloader Hook Method in Windchill. We would need to set it up for both the WTDocument object types and Creo object types. Reading the articles CS348848 and CS348518, this solution adds the native PDF file from Representations into the attachments of objects which can then be sent via Packages. It also states that it will remove and replace the PDF rep file from the attachments each time the object is checked in and out.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
This method will greatly reduce the amount of rework that is required by adding the PDF rep file to the attachments which removes the need to change the "Set Collection Rules" of packages and includes the native PDF created by the Publisher in the delivery.

2 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @NA_9341349 for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

slapha
15-Moonstone

Agree, I had to make a small script function to strip the PDFs out and put them in another folder, because some people just want to use PDF and don't want to go through Creo View, or were unable to use Creo View.