It's been 8 years and Windchill still doesn't make it easy to collect models related by merge/inheritance.
Below includes additional detail as well as the other "Ideas" that are now archived.
1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Sr. Business Analyst at a global energy equipment supplier. Stakeholders include MANY engineers working on complex designs in office locations across the globe.
2. What version of Windchill are you currently running? windchill pdmlink 18.104.22.168
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Add ability to collect models based in Creo Merge/Inheritance references. Collector should be able to collect "parent" or "child" models created by the Creo "Merge/Inheritance" functionality.
4. What is the use case for your organization? Inheritance/merge functionality is to development of many different operations including casting, molding, simulation, variable design, etc., etc. Oftentimes, a change in a parent also includes a change in all children, or would at least need validation that a change in a parent model does not impact the child model.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? A proper collector option would enable users to identify impacted documents and quickly navigate to and/or include objects in a local workspace requiring attention. This is a time saver as well as having the potential to reduce errors.
When revising a CAD Doc, the collector should allow to include the inherited models (as a format comes with a drawing).
9 times on 10, the inherited model must be updated at the same time as the "master". If you don't go to the Related Objects tab and brows to the Referenced By section, you never know you're forgetting something very important.