cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Allow Parts to contain attachments (documents)

0 Kudos

Allow Parts to contain attachments (documents)

Current Windchill configuration requires users to generate two part numbers -- a Part and a Document -- for every item within the database, and to add both items to every change when a modification is required.. This is time consuming and leads to errors.

This is a request to add the Content tab to all Part types.The additional functionality of having a Primary Content link on the Details tab of the Part would be nice but is not necessary for this request. This request is only to add the Content tab to all Part types and thereby allow users to locate both a part's BOM and drawing on the same item.

Ideally, Parts could hold their own attachments instead of having to be associated with a paired Document, and Documents could be added on BOMs instead of requiring a paired Part to support that function. However, I would consider Parts holding their own attachments to be the priority.

7 Comments
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If you use WTparts with your CAD objects, you can do that today. The WTparts can have attachments associated with them. When you create a change object, select the WTpart and it will get the CAD object and all attachments.

ES_9976227
4-Participant

You're talking about associations, which certainly exists for both CAD and non-CAD documents.  I can associate a CAD drawing -- or any other document -- to a part on the Related Objects tab. But that drawing does not going through the change process with that part. They have to be created separately, added separately, updated separately, and managed separately. It's time consuming (and frankly confusing for some of my users) to have to manage both a WTPart and a WTDocument when the document only exists to hold a file for the part.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Clarification Needed

Thank you @ES_9976227 for publishing your idea. However, we need more information as specified in the form you saw in the submission process. (questions below) and in addition to your exchange with @BenLoosli. The more details and context you give to document your idea, the better. Think about ways to educate and convince other Community members to support your idea and present your case to the product management team for consideration.

Please let us know within the next two weeks.

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
2. What product & version are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

Additionally, I invite you to check out this topic where PTC executives explain product managers' approach to customer ideas and input for product roadmaps.

ES_9976227
4-Participant

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.

Industry: Aerospace.

My role: Windchill administrator

2. What product & version are you currently running?

Windchill PDMLink 12.0.2.0

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

See original comment above.

4. What is the use case for your organization?

Engineers: Requiring engineers to create two items instead of one for each new part, and to manage two items instead of one for all changes to those parts, is time consuming and leads to errors.

Manufacturing team: Workers on the manufacturing floor need to be able to quickly and reliably access both the Structure tab of the Part and the Content tab of the Document. It is time consuming and confusing for them to have to find this data in two separate locations, and the extra clicks involved in going between the two items adds up when viewing dozens of parts per day.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

Saving time, reducing frustration, and eliminating a source of errors always has value.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

JeffZemsky
17-Peridot
Status changed to: No Plans to Implement

There is a rich environment in Windchill allowing a Product Structure to have a range of related content.  This allows appropriate interactions of managing a BOM and Product Structure that might be different than the needs of managing a CAD document or office document content.  The result is providing a robust complete Product Definition allowing users to drive Product Structure (or CAD) Top Down and Bottom up while maintaining differences where needed.  Additionally this allows driving a range of visualization strategies and modular product definition to always provide the configuration correct results.  There are no plans to directly have Primary Content (eg CAD or Document data) on Parts in Windchill.  There are broad capabilities to link and drive these today.

If the desire is for "secondary content" - eg content that does not need formal management there is a Preference that can be enabled to allow Attachments on Parts.

ES_9976227
4-Participant

Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you have built Windchill to allow BOM structure and office documents to be addressed separately. My frustration, and the loss of time and therefore money on the part of my users, comes from having to put in extra work when we want to treat those two items the same.

A truly broad system would allow a Part and a Document to be created simultaneously (with the option of using the same number for each), and would allow those paired items to be added to a change with a single entry instead of mandating that Parts and Documents be addressed individually. Windchill currently emphasizes BOM and part structure over documentation, and the result is an uneven system.

I see that you've marked this request as dead in the water, but I'd appreciate if you'd consider the points I've raised. The current Windchill configuration quite literally doubles the amount of work required to create and manage items.