cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Solidworks to open Creo Parametric .prt .asm files from Windchill Workgroup Manager Workspace

Allow Solidworks to open Creo Parametric .prt .asm files from Windchill Workgroup Manager Workspace

Please add the ability to allow Solidworks to open Creo Parametric Part and Assembly files from Windchill Workgroup Manager Workspace to allow other user groups in the company to use creo files as reference objects in Solidworks.

We are trying to manage all of our cad data that's created from multiple CAD systems in windchill.

Not being able to open Creo Parametric part and assembly files in read only mode from a Solidworks Windchill Workgroup Manager Workspace makes it cumbersome and not efficient for our other user groups that need to use Solidworks to perform daily tasks.  Currently we need to export the files from a workspace, use them in Solidworks to create manufacturing related support items and then save these MFG items back to Windchill.

Would like the ability to work completely in a Windchill workspace with out the need to leave the windchill environment.    

4 Comments
gfrenck
4-Participant

data management is to enable data re-use and not be cad data segregation management. If we can't allow businesses that have been purchased who came with SW to access data in Windchill as at least read-only what good is it?  

Alanr
3-Visitor

I agree, this is an essential feature for us that is missing in WGM. We work with Solidworks and Creo designs that sometimes require us to use combined data. From the Creo side we can open and use Solidworks files from Workspace, but from the Solidworks side WGM does not allow this even though Solidworks has that functionality with files outside of Workspace.

AB_9767487
2-Guest

This should be an OOTB functionality. Not sure why PTC is disabling this function.

One of the major selling point of WC WGM is the multi-cad ability.

Why is it NOT a capability to open Creo files located in Windchill in Solidworks from the application. I need to export the Creo file to local drive, and open it from there. 

Would like to have the action > Open in Solidworks from Windchill on Creo files, or Open in Creo on Solidworks file. if the application does not allow it, it should then give an error. 

But forcing us to export locally in order to open in a different CAD application, defeat some of the benefits of having a Multi-CAD PDM system in PDMLink.

thanks

amit.

jlieving
3-Visitor

I just ran into this issue as well. We currently use Solidworks PCB and want to share the 3d Solidworks pcb assys to the mechanical guys in the Creo world. I tested the Unite technology outside of Windchill and it works great. I was excited to get the Windchill Workgroup Manager installed for Solidworks so we can start collaborating through checking in and out files in the Windchill workspace. I was extremely disappointed to learn that I can't open Creo files into Solidworks or open Solidworks files into Creo using the Windchill workspace. It's totally unacceptable in my opinion to work outside of the established workflow to get this to work. I have read many articles and poked around in the PTC Knowledge base to learn other people trying to do this. Another black mark against PTC in a world where collaborating with multi-cad platforms is a necessity. If anyone has a come up with a viable workaround to this, please share.