Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow routing type workflows for all contexts

Allow routing type workflows for all contexts

Currently to perform a workflow task on objects in Products you have to use some change object, a promotion request, Change request, notice, etc. This requires the objects to have a transition, and promotable/changable state. The "Route" option exists in Projects but not in Products/Libraries/etc. It should be able to be used on all file types in all contexts.

We have found a great deal of usefulness out of workflows that do not change the state of an object. Today we use promotion requests to run these workflows but do not have it change the final state of the objects, or use Under Review and set them back to In Work. If the objects do not have a promotable state it causes a failure.

Today the current alternative is to create customized actions. Which can be time consuming and requires validation with each update to Windchill.

Our users have adapted to using Promotion Requests for things like peer reviews, but they aren't technically being promoted. Route or some other non-change object seems like a more logical place for these kinds of workflows.

Adding this functionality would open up the workflow configurable side of PDMLink and allow for a lot more workflow utilities without full customization. Workflows can be really powerful if not restricted to the change object restrictions.

Some examples:

Move to Library with approval - Moves models/files to a library after approval from the librarian

Revision matching - If a new weldment member is added this workflow will update the revision to match the parent assembly (We keep all design revisions matching for an inseparable assembly)

Peer Review/Notify - We use promotions today, but this could easily be done in route or as a notify route.

Mass changes - We don't have this today but some actions could be done via workflows

5 Comments
Level 14

Completely agree - being able to initiate a workflow process from a PDM product data object is helpful many times. The only current ways are as listed plus (for one Task only), Action Items.

Level 12

f you liked and voted on this idea, you might consider looking at this one as well:

Improve interaction of PDMLink and ProjectLink

Level 11

I do want to add an addition to this. After working with project workflows a bit more I don't want it exactly like projects where it reassigns lifecycles and workflows. While I have some use cases for this, this part of the "Route" functionality can be very dangerous.

Level 11

I've done a little work and found another workaround that I think PTC could take advantage of as far as the data structure and coding.

Previously our workflows were done with Promotion Requests because everyone sees Promotion Requests as simple and most people are familiar with them in our process. Promotions however are very rigid and unforgiving. I've expanded my new workflow project to Change Requests without CN's or CA/CT's.  This workflow sends out a task requesting specific attribute information, updates object attributes based on information in that task, and then sends notifications back to the CR author.

So far testing is very promising, but we get people who are very particular of words. So this would almost be a "Request" workflow, not necessarily a "Change Request", even though it is requesting a change of attributes. (Change = CM) Time will tell if we get much opposition to this method. We could always customize an action button to start this request, but we try to avoid customization where possible.

Level 11
Status changed to: Acknowledged