Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow rules for downloaded objects in Workspace

Allow rules for downloaded objects in Workspace

In Intralink 3.4, downloaded objects that were Released could be automatically set to Read Only.  In Windchill, all objects desired to be set as read only must be manually selected every time an update is performed.

Please allow rule functionality for Windchill so that Administrators and users can manage their workspaces more easily.  Also, it could be enhanced so rules can be applied by context, parameter, state, etc.

14 Comments
Moonstone

In general, the user should not have Modify permission (but likely will have Revise permission) for an object at Released, so this is generally already covered.

Amethyst

True, but the read only designation covered regeneration too.  In Intralink, a Released object would be marked as read only, and if the regenerate_read_only_objects was set to no, it would not regenerate it.  In Windchill, even Released objects will regenerate because they are not set to read only.

" In Windchill, all objects desired to be set as read only must be manually selected every time an update is performed."

is PTC on Crack?  Do they really think that I am going to reset the read only status of every library part in my workspace each time I check in or update my workspace? 

Amethyst

Related idea:

Automatic lock of CAD objects during Add-to-Workspace

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2099

Amethyst

PTC, what is the duplicate idea, so I can vote it up?

Alexandrite

Automatic lock of CAD objects during Add-to-Workspace

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2099

Amethyst

Stephen, what is the criteria PTC uses to mark ideas as duplicates?

It is obviously not the date of creation because the one you link as the primary is newer.

Is it the number of votes at the time of review by a PTC moderator?

Also, how do you notify voters that an idea they voted on has been marked as a duplicate, so they can vote up the primary?

Alexandrite

Ideas are monitored and commented on by PTC product managers.  It is not an exact science.  I marked this idea as duplicate keeping the other going since it had more votes and greater traffic.  that was my only rationale.  Unfortunately, there is no notification system that I am aware.

Amethyst

@Stephen  That seems like a pretty poor system since PTC is now using these ideas as the main source for their enhancement requests.

I'd like to see something more scientific that addresses what to do with votes that are already cast for items marked as duplicates.  These ideas are issues that users are genuinely concerned about and expect PTC to take them seriously, not negate their opinions.

Please let me know who is in charge of setting the operating procedures for these enhancement requests so I can communicate with them directly.

Amethyst

*crickets*

Amethyst

@Stephen, any progress on this?

Amethyst

@Stephen, in reading through the idea you set as primary, I don't see the specific idea mentioned here enumerated in it.  When making an idea as Duplicate, please make sure that the primary idea encompases all details of the the one you're eliminating.  Otherwise, please set this one back to voting status.

Amethyst

Steve Shaw‌ here is a good idea of how these ideas should work: Merge similar ideas into one and combine votes

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived