cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow user can disable reference designator to unit quantity auto-adjustment function

Allow user can disable reference designator to unit quantity auto-adjustment function

In Windchill,when you go to Part's structure page, you can modify the BOM attribute there. When an engineer inputs R1-R5 in the reference designator,  Windchill will automatically adjust the unit quantity to 5. When an engineer changes the reference designator to R1-R7, Windchill will automatically adjust the unit quantity to 7. Our client Mindray believes this function does not satisfy their business needs, they think this function is not useful and instead will cause some misunderstanding to their engineers, so we would like to ask to implement an enhancement to allow user can disable this function.

3 Comments
BenPerry
Amethyst

Kaixiang You,

We don't use Reference Designators, so I might be speaking out of turn here...  But this seems more like a bug.  Have you asked tech support if this is the way that Reference Designators are supposed to behave?  I'm not sure how/why text in a Reference Designator field would update the quantity.

kyou

Yes we did ask Tech Support for this first. Turns out it is a Windchill function to update the quantity based on Reference Designator, and they suggest us to submit an idea if we want to disable this function.

BrianSullivan

Windchill Keeps QTY and Reference Designators IN SYNC

So QTY 5 equals R1-R5 change to R1-R7 then QTY has to Update.

If you want to not have Reference Designators Match Quantity, you can trick the system by place square brackets around the Reference Designator... this breaks the sync, so we have seen in 11.0 M030.

QTY 4 Ref Des [R1-R7]

Occurence Mode will see it as a QTY on 1, I believe