Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying Yellow Tooltip Box

Annoying Yellow Tooltip Box

Has anyone noticed in 10.0 that when you try to edit attributes in your workspace there is a little yellow tooltip that displays when you move your mouse over the box to enter a value?  If I don't select juuuust right the tooltip displays and prevents you from entering anything.  The whole box could be covered up.  I have to move my mouse so the tooltip goes away then move it back to pick the box so I CAN enter a value.YellowPopup.jpg

I would propose a preference to allow the users/admin not to display this.  I have been asked by many of my users about this.  I contacted PTC and they basically said it can't be changed.  This really prohibits quick changes.  I don't know if this is still true in 10.1 but one can only hope that it's not.

44 Comments
Level 12

Yes, this blasted tool tip constantly gets in the way of editing attributes. 

Worse yet, there is hardly any delay when it pops up so just moving the mouse to the location you want to enter text will bring it up.

Even worse yet, is TABING from one box to the next to edit values is no longer possible.  If you don't edit the boxes, you can tab between them, but as soon as you add/change a value, tab doesn't work any more.  How often does someone want to tab the curser to a box but not edit it?  Isn't that the point?

Level 12

I too put in a PTC ticked for this and got the response that it couldn't be changed.  One of the techs offered a cryptic idea about a workaround, but I haven't gotten a clear answer yet on what he's talking about.  I'll post when I decipher his broken english.

Level 12

Unfortunately it is present in 10.1  >_<

Level 13

Thank you Domingo.  I would appreciate a post if you find anything out.

Level 8

I can't vote this up enough.

Level 1

I'm pretty sure I know how to get rid of it without too much customization effort. 

Level 12

Alright, Speak up and now one gets hurt! ;-)  JK.  So how do you do it???

Level 8

Dave you can't leave us hanging like that man...

Vote, vote, vote!

We fully agree with you and PTC should add the functionality to disable such tooltip boxes!

ABB High Voltage

Level 13

One thing that came up from our consultant is that if it is disabled then it's disabled for all areas.  So the times that the text is too long for a column and you hover your mouse pointer over the text then there wouldn't be a popup to show what it says.  Maybe an option to turn different "areas" on or off?  I don't know of another solution.  Anyone else?

Level 1

You know I posted to this, but I didn't monitor for replies.  I'll try to take a look at this soon to see if my idea does indeed work.  It would be a little javascript, I just have to see how PTC implemented this before I can comment too much more (and get everyones hope up too much)

Level 12
Level 8

I would be happy if we could just reduce the time shows up from 4-5 second now to just 1 second.

We should have the option to change the time or turn it off completely.

Level 12

Gord, I am not sure what you mean.  Are you saying that default out of the box it takes 4-5 seconds for the tooltip to show up on your system...or did you accidently turn that around?  For us it pops up IMMEDIATELY when the mouse moves over the field (it doesn't even wait the standard 1 second that the rest of windows tooltips have).  Because it opens so quickly one cannot work. 

If you know how to increase the time so that it takes 4-5 seconds to show up, let us know as that would prevent a lot of frustration.  If I misunderstood you, please let us know.  Thanks.

Level 8

Hi what I was trying to say was that the tool tip shows up immediately for a total of 5 -7 seconds but if we could reduce the total duration time of the popup to 1-2 seconds total instead of 5-7 seconds that would at least be helpful. We should be able to customize the pop up duration in seconds at the org or site level.

As an example,

MS outlook 2010 has a pop for incoming email and users are able to turn off the notification and change the duration time of the notification in the Microsoft outlook settings.

Thx

Gord

Level 12

That makes more sense.  Thanks for the clarification.  I agree with you.

Level 12

We submitted a ticket on this and since I heard a PATCH was given to another Admin/company (@10.1) I pushed hard for a solution. Supposedly after some intense internal conversation (at PTC), they said that for our version (10 M040) they could only give an unsupported customization (to turn off all tooltips in PDMLink) that the rep was very concerned/convinced that it would break something else....so we probably will not pursuing it. We are planning on upgrading to one of the fixed versions (below) of WC soon anyway.

He did give a reference to SPR 2152956, which says it is fixed in the following versions and higher:

10.0 Implemented M050

10.1 Implemented M030

10.2 Implemented F000

Can someone please verify that they had this tooltip issue in lower versions but after an upgrade the tool tips are no longer an issue ? I am also curious how they fixed it and if it causes any other problems...?

Level 13

Yes but I created my post in April.  That is was created in June.

Level 9

The fix to this issue is being submitted to the following releases (with release timeframes from PTC Product Calendar):

• 10.0 M050 (Q1 2014)
  • 10.1 M050 (Q3 2014)
  • 10.2 M020 (Q2 2014)

The fix involves a change to the positioning the tooltip display so they will not interfere with the editing of attribute values.

Level 13

Beeeuuutiful.  Thank you Steve.

Level 12

Thanks Stephen Shaw,

I, and our users very much look forward to this being easier (I still get  complaints and questions weekly about how to get rid of this thing!). 

I agree with Steve Galayda in the product idea description that there should be an option to just turn off any tooltips that tell me the length that a string can be in a field as PDMLink should return an error saying this anyway (if someone had a longer string than allowed).

In general, Tooltips can be a good thing, but I think good rules of thumb (that this tooltip breaks) are:

• There should always be a delay of >=1 second before a tooltip appears (ideally length of time would be configurable...at the admin...and user level) and this time frame should reset if the mouse is moved away.
  • Tooltips should only be used if the information they display is useful.
  • Tooltips either should not be used in locations where input is needed, or need to have greater thought into their implementation so they do not drive users batty!
  • They should prevent work from being done nor be uncontrollably annoying :-)

This being said, if it is being thoughtfully implemented by being truly out of the way and does not hinder entering text, or viewing text while entering (often we reference fields while entering text), and cannot be clicked on while trying to click on fields, then I/we will be very happy. :-)

Level 12

@Steven Shaw, this is still not current functionality, as you have marked it, because the tool tip still cannot be turned off.  Please set the idea back to open for voting until the core idea has been addressed.

Level 9

There are no plans to disable tooltips completely.  The majority of our customers have found the changes that have been made to have adequately addressed their issue with the tooltip obscuring the edit field.

Level 12

Domingo, what version of PDMLink are you using/testing that supposedly fixes this tooltip problem. Also, can you post a screenshot of where the tooltip comes up now?

Level 12

@Stephen Shaw, that still does not address the ides posted.  Please reopen it until the specific issue is addressed.

@Lawrence Scheeler, it isn't fixed.  As Stephen says above, PTC has moved the tips and has no plans to fix it so admins have control over them.