Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back context links

Bring back context links

In 8.0 and 9.1 there were tabs within a context to the different areas of the context.

Example: When in a product you could easily click tabs to go to the team, the utilities, etc. All the links that are now in the left hand browser slide out window.

I'm not for tabs, but it would be nice if there were links to these areas of the context somewhere on the page.

I'm constantly opening my side window just to browse to different details on the context, and often the context detail list is minimized, so I have to expand it out first. One shoudln't have to do something in the left pane to change the right pane each time. I could even live with them just on the context details page if I could browse back to it somehow.

I know some people may prefer the left slidout bar, it was obviously changed for a reason.  So I offer adding back some sort of linkback option to the community to be judged. I would like both, the slide out navigation is ok, but it would be nice to improve context internal navigation.

7 Comments
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

I agree.  Perhaps something like the screenshot?  Add these "tabs" or links right below the breadcrumb.  And control the visibility of these at Org level at least, so they can be turned on/off based on preference.

2014-10-09_16-15-16.png

slapha
15-Moonstone

I could even see it as a series of icons somewhere on the page with icons representing different areas.

2014-10-09_17-22-26.png

I think the worst problem is when I have to find an area I haven't worked in lately, Go to view all, click on it, takes me to the folder view, expand out the navigation pane, expand out the context, then click on the area I really wanted to go to.

Sure I can leave the pane open but that's valuable real estate that I use only 1/10th the time, hence why they made it able to self collapse.

slapha
15-Moonstone

Another option I just thought about is something SharePoint does with their navigation. They show the view in the header breadcrumbs. You can select which view you want to see from the breadcrumbs as a dropdown. Here's an example of how Sharepoint does the breadcrumb drop downs.

2014-10-10_9-38-35.png

mdebower
18-Opal

Steven,  I like your idea of the breadcrumb dropdowns.  What do you think of something like this?

20141010-082042.png

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived

BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

why is this idea archived...?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

All product ideas older than a certain age and with less than a certain number of votes were archived in an attempt to make it easier for PTC product managers to work through them.  You may also be able to petition community management and get them to re-activate it, but it's probably just easier to make a new idea instead.