cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create an overrideable conflict when deleting latest iteration, if it is the only iteration.

Create an overrideable conflict when deleting latest iteration, if it is the only iteration.

We accidentally updated one of our screw generics and created 2 new screws in a newer version of Creo than production. All users were failing when opening their assemblies. We did a work-around, but it would have been easier to just select the generic and the 2 instances and delete while using the option "Delete latest iterations of each object included in the table". However, the event manager throws up an error and says that it can't do that because the instances have only one iteration. It would be great it there was an overrideable method to tell the system to do it anyway (just as it does it an item is in someone's workspace). 

2 Comments
Visitor

In addition to this, Windchill also allows users to delete an instance even if it is being used in assemblies. This will cause users with those assemblies to constantly have out of date generics in their workspace and the server will not let them update out of date because latest is missing the required instance. There is a lot of error checking Windchill is missing related to generics/instances.

This would be a great improvement for allowing much easier removal of instances that were added over time.

The workaround is a pain. Windchill seems to have 2 delete actions: one that opens a delete menu (when deleting from the object info page/tabs) and one that deletes the revision of the selected objects (when deleting objects in a list - search results, folder view, etc.). The 2nd one is the only way I've found to remove instances added at a later date but it's tedious to collect all instances beforehand on large family tables.

PTC could also improve the verbiage and include some examples in the delete menu. I made this cheat sheet for myself:

Deleting Objects in Windchill.jpg