Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI Download Mechanism

DTI Download Mechanism

We'd like to have the option during download of document to either use DTI (Windchill Desktop Integration) or just download the file.  The reason is DTI can take a long time to download, save and open along with more clicks than just downloading original file type.  Sometime we just want to view a file and have no intention of editing.  But once the download mechanism is set, it requires these step to change: Quick Links > My Settings > Preferences > Attachments > File Download Mechanism > Set Preference (are you getting how many clicks this is?) > toggle value > OK. 

If upon download we could select either DTI or Original File Format,  that would be great.  The difference to me is intent to change vs. just viewing file.

10 Comments
Emerald II

You might want to vote this one up as well:  Set the preference for download mechanism based on document type

I agree. When I am working with documents, it works great. If you are reviewing PDF's on a change notice, its not quite as much fun. I'd just like to get a quick preview of the PDF, not have DTI download it and then proceed to open it in Creo View.

You are right about the performance. If there is a ZIP as a primary content, it takes longer to download with DTI than it does with the browser.

I would imagine the prompt would get tedious to answer after a day or so. Maybe it would be nicer to limit DTI downloads to only the Office document types it supports instead of everything you download from Windchill?

‌I believe this is actually current functionality, though admittedly far from obvious to find in the UI.

Even with DTI enabled if you click the ( i ) icon next to the primary content on a Document info page you navigate to another info page for just the content. In the Action menu there you have a download option.

We specifically  train users on finding this trick!

Participant

Enable an Office publisher and you can view all these documents by clicking the thumbnail.  If you have no intention of editing/using a file then it shouldn't be opened/downloaded with DTI in the first place just view it straight from windchill.

Daniel Hoang‌, this is a great suggestion and is more inline with Better and faster User Experience to Open and View Documents directly in Windchill without download .... Please vote up the document viewer idea if you have not already.

Participant

Thakns Scott, but unfortunately I do not agree with that idea.  Creo View takes about 1 second to open a published document in Windchill.  In all cases it is faster than using the native document software, and only 1 click.

Ah, I missed your point completely. Now I understand. The mechanism and tools for publishing and viewing are already there, why not use them.

Nice suggestion but we found the Office Publisher to be cost prohibitive.

Participant

That's right Scott.

Rereading my post I want to apologize if I came off snarky.  That was not my intent.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged