cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PTC Community email address has changed to community-mailer@ptc.com. Learn more.

Download published content (IGS, STP, PDF) direct from linked WTPart - via all areas

Download published content (IGS, STP, PDF) direct from linked WTPart - via all areas

WTParts are the master item record in PLM and ERP.  WTParts that are linked to CAD Data (models and drawings) have very important published "Addtional Files".  Users that consume this data are not in Windchill all the time or very technnical many times.  They can't perform searches for models vs parts vs drawings etc just to get whatever IGES or PDF is needed.  Other, less CAD centric tools, typically provide easy mechanisms for downstream users to consume this data.  Windchill does not.  The data is linked to WTParts though its buried.  Users have to do the following to get it:

1. Search for WTPart
  2. Open the details page of WTPart
  3. Add custom tab via the >Customization menu to display the visualization
  4. Select Visualization Tab
  5. Right click and download on the appropriate visualization...(there is one for drawing and one for CAD model)

I would propose the following:

1. Right Click on WTPart and a "Files" menu flyout is available
  2. The flyout menu has two sections:
    1. one for drawings
      1. If a drawing is linked but not published it should indicate as such and provide a button to "publish drawing"
      2. If a drawing is not linked it should indicate as such - "no linked drawing"
      3. If a drawing is linked and published - selecting it allows for a direct download
    2. one for 3d data
      1. If a model is linked but not published it should indicate as such and provide a button to "publish drawing"
      2. If a model is not linked it should indicate as such - "no linked drawing"
      3. If a model is linked and published - selecting it allows for a direct download
  3. I need to be able to access this Right Click Menu from all WTPart right clicks - INCLUDING STRUCTURE AREA (not just actions menu)
  4. Menu needs to be controlled via Profile and Access Control (download?)
  5. Need to control which files are available for this menu via preference
  6. These files would be published/created on the CAD via the "Additional Files" mechanism.  I don't want to use the default plt raster drawing at all though its great as the default publish type because I can mark it up without Adobe nonsense.  PDF/DXF are available to be published upon release via the "Additional Files" setup and these should be the files that are available for download off the WTPart
  7. Also I'd like this same functionality on the CAD model and Drawing objects as well.
  8. Users have rights to WTPart and can still download secondary content even if they do NOT have rights to see the CAD data (a good thing typically).  Keeps it simpler for users.

This would allow Windchill to provide necessary data for purchasing, suppliers, manufacturing etc with great ease.  This in conjuction with role based homepage/search page functionality would GREATLY open Windchill up to larger audiences for use similar to Arena/Agile etc.  The Role based homepage/search page will be logged as a separate "idea" though.

10 Comments
BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

I'm with you. The files should be downloadeable more easy and available from WTPart. Perhaps we could go one step further and get a command to download all the drawings and documents for one assembly. The problem there is, that some of the documents are only for the engineering and not for the purchasing department. So it would be necessare to have a collector to specify all the subtypes.

If a visualization is missing, there should also be a warning or error where the user is able to publish it again.

SteveVinyard
1-Newbie

1- Yeah a much better packaging functionality (EASIER TO USE) is sorely needed along with these "ideas".

2- The missing visualization is outlined in my idea under option 2, subsection 2.

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

I would also add to the drawing section a flyout for describe by documents.  We have a lot of legacy PDFs that we do not have CREO models/drawings for.

For the non-technical user, and even some engineering managers, this would be great functionality.  Right now our manufacturing floor is struggling with implementation 2 years later.  Now I have to train tech support to find drawings/PDFs in Windchill.

DavidCobb
12-Amethyst

Along similar lines, we have been wrestling with the need to provide manually generated derivative STEP or IGES files (automatically published ones often do not fully meet the needs of the consumer they are intended for) to user who will have access to the WTPart, but not the CAD objects. We have been looking at a minor customization that would allow such derivatives to be manually uploaded to the Representation, and thus be accessible via the WTPart. From a more general standpoint, we would definitely love to see more robust out-of-the-box features for making published or manually created CAD derivatives available to consumers of that information who only have WTPart access.

SvenR
13-Aquamarine

That's a really important topic!

Downstrem users on shop floor find it often much easier to search for the partnumber in a folder with Windows Explorer than to find the PDF and print it through Windchill.

Although the fastest way seems to be the quickview tool tips or adding the info-bubble in structure view and showing associated documents, the users still have to get to the epmdocument and its contents and its derivative files via right click.

We need to shorten that way in terms of number to click and mm to move the mouse... AND in terms of ease to see usability 🙂

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Looking for some input. Anyone ever used Windchill Desktop Integration? Thoughts on using the Windows Explorer integration to browse Windchill folders for published content?

It's pretty far out there, but not impossible. Just curious if there is a desire to access Windchill via Windows Explorer vs. some type of doucment portal, custom search or Windchill search.

My idea is showing all Windchill items that contain primary content and providing direct access to the published viewable for those with read only permisions. Maybe connect it directly with the view/print option?

GaryMansell
6-Contributor

Excellent Idea - gets my vote

BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

‌I'm just wonder what the new Windchill 11 with the role base apps brings. Perhaps a new way is provided to collect and download the viewables ?

BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

Thanks Scott for the idea

I belief this idea would only make sense, when also WTParts can be searched. But then this would also be in competition with Windchill itself. Or perhaps the new role based apps.

I'm not a fan of this integration. I rather would prefer a better download mechanism from the browser. Something more like Sharepoint to open the files direct from the browser, without the desktop integration file.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged