cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Attributes – Annoying pop-up window with field properties, it should be possible to disable that box in Windchill settings

Edit Attributes – Annoying pop-up window with field properties, it should be possible to disable that box in Windchill settings

Performing Edit Attributes in Workspace a yellow pop-up window with field properties appears. The information in the window does not really help user. It is really hard to edit an attribute field, because the pop-up window can cover the field. That behavior is very disturbing for user, especially If they have to edit more than one attribute value.

There should be a possibility in Windchill to disable the appearance of the window.

yellow-box-in-edit-attributes-1.jpg

20 Comments

I'm agree, should be possible to disable the appearance of yellow window information

I found same idea here:
http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2627 (link has to be copied in new browser window, direct link does not work)

Please vote also for that.

That's correct. The yellow box is really annoying and hinder you on fast working. Give the user the possibility to switch it off.

Aquamarine

I actually sumitted a ticket on this, but PTC refused to acknowledge that it was a bug.

Aquamarine

@Joerg you have to edit your link and remove the hyperlink.  Another bug PTC seems unable to fix.

Moonstone

Yes, very annoying.  How did something that is this much of a hinderence to workflow get past testing?  It gives the 'illusion' that not much testing is done by PTC.

I also cannot understand why they don't see this as a major problem...there have been at least 2 tickets, from different companies, opened on this problem and no intention to fix it.  What makes the fact that the string cannot be longer than 64 characters more important than seeing and editing the attributes?

Moonstone

We submitted a ticket on this and since I heard a PATCH was given to another Admin/company (@10.1) I pushed hard for a solution. Supposedly after some intense internal conversation (at PTC), they said that for our version (10 M040) they could only give an unsupported customization (to turn off all tooltips in PDMLink) that the rep was very concerned/convinced that it would break something else....so we probably will not pursuing it. We are planning on upgrading to one of the fixed versions (below) of WC soon anyway.

He did give a reference to SPR 2152956, which says it is fixed in the following versions and higher:

10.0 Implemented M050

10.1 Implemented M030

10.2 Implemented F000

Can someone please verify that they had this tooltip issue in lower versions but after an upgrade the tool tips are no longer an issue ? I am also curious how they fixed it and if it causes any other problems...?

Turquoise

Same topic here.  Just wanted to cross link it.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2627

My link won't work for some reason.

Moonstone

It won't work because this website does not support copying and pasting of link addresses (because it duplicates part of the address in the link) unless you use the link icon to insert a link.  This is really quite embarassing that PTC first created the website but far more because so many people have complained about it and PTC Communities has either refused to fix it, it is lost in some neverending approval loop, or doesn't know how to fix it.  I really wish they would just hire a college or even high school kid to fix this and other problems this website has.  After they do that then they can try doing the same think for the user interface of PDMLink.

Visitor

I think PTC is not focusing enough in (user Interface) UI as they should. Those anoying yellow boxes are a clear example of this. Other example: the standard tools icons in Creo are all the same background color, they should be group and diferentiate not only by function but by colors as well. I hate to say this but you just need to see Autodesk UIs to see what I mean. and yet other example: this forums behavior: deviates from the average internet user is used to. why??  

My vote for switching on/off those yellow boxes is really a 10 users vote in my department, but they don't bother using time figuring out how to sign up to PTC...

Aquamarine

@Steve, you have to edit your comment and unlink your link.  Another bug PTC seems unable to fix.

Aquamarine

@Jlian, good points.  My vote represents about 200 users who don't have the time to navigate the awful signup process.

Moonstone

Similar for me.  Out of 80+ or so users we have, only a few are signed up on this website. 

People still complain to me about this, and I am also greatly annoyed by it whenever I have to edit attributes.  This is the kind of trouble Malware causes on computers (e.g. Ask toolbar), yet this comes directly from PTC as "intended functionality" with a workaround to "move the mouse" (quotes really do come from a PTC rep on the call we submitted).

It is odd to me how many of PTCs "intended functionalities' have a striking resemblance to Malware.  This doesn't make sense to me why PTC seems so reluctant to fix these types of problems.  These seem to be the low hanging fruits. Come on PTC!

Aquamarine

To the product manager who marked this as a duplicate: what is the primary idea for this that people should comment on (link?)?  Also, did you add the votes for this idea to the primary one?

Alexandrite

I neglected to add the following note:

This issue has been addressed as indicated in comment by Lawrence Scheeler in this thread, but also by the duplicate idea:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2627

We just introduced Windchill PDMlink (10.2). These yellow tooltips are one of the most hated "features" of Windchill in my company (about 30 CAD-Users).

Roman

Moonstone

Roman, what build of 10.2 are you using?

Aquamarine

@Stephen, your link has the double URL bug, that PTC seems unable to fix.

In order to make links work in this forum, you have to right-click on them and select "unlink" before posting them.

We can avoid it using below property
      <Property name="com.ptc.windchill.uwgm.cadx.multieditattr.showTooltip" overridable="true"

targetFile="codebase/wt.properties" value="false"/>

Community Manager
Status changed to: Duplicate