1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. Working in an international defense company I help manage and maintain our instance of Windchill for 500 plus users.
2. What version of Windchill are you currently running? Release: 126.96.36.199
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video. When creating a new Part in windchill, we have a check box at the bottom called "Create CAD Document" that allows for the creation of a CAD document at the same time as the part, links the CAD document to the part, and inherits some of the metadata of the Part.
However, there is no similar solution for creating non-CAD Documents in a new Part window or the other way around. We need users to be able to efficiently create Part and non-CAD Document pairs in either scenario no matter which object they create first, Part or Document.
4. What is the use case for your organization? Users would be able to tick a box at the bottom of a New Part or New Document Window that generates a new step (like the above screenshot) to create the other object type. These auto-generated objects should inherit as many shared attributes as possible. This would include Name, Number, CAGE Code, General Attributes, Program information Attributes, Sensitive Information Attributes, Sensitive Information Attributes, and Legacy System Attributes. Any attributes that aren't shared between the object types should be able to be set in the second step like the "New CAD Document" step shown in the screenshot above. When the user selects finish, the Document and Part will be created at the same time and they will already be linked via the Described by relationship.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? By introducing an efficient means of creating a non-CAD Document and Part pairs within a single creation window, either the New Part or New Document window, this will greatly reduce the amount of rework that is currently required of users. Users currently must create the Part or Document first with all the metadata and then create the other object type with the same attributes. By reducing this effort, users can more efficiently work within Windchill for our projects.