Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Line/Find numbers to persist when generating BOMs

Changes to product structure driven by CAD (Including ECAD), using the Unified Workgroup Manager, delete Line and/or Find numbers from the Bill Of Materials on the Assembly WTPart. WChill 10.2 M030.

This request is that all CAD Integrations using the Unified Workgroup Manager, allow edits to the CAD structure and thus the BOM.

Currently the removal of a Part Number from the CAD assembly, deletes all Line and/or Find numbers. Since WindChill is aligned with SAP in many cases, the manual syncronization of one thousand plus line numbers to their previous values can be "irritating".

Update regarding Greg's point below;

C12800901 was opened on this item with PTC Support.

Their response is "functions as designed", create an enhancement request.

5 Comments
Aquamarine

Hi Scott

I assume there's preferences to set for controlling the mapping of the line number/find number on BOM usage link

should not erase for me ... if yes.- > call to TS

regards

Are these the BOM line numbers used by ERP systems to reference components in the assembly sequence?   If so our ERP system has a way to manually change or sequence the numbering.   Is it possible that SAP has something similar that doesn't blow everything way and rebuild?

Jim,

Yes, These are the BOM line numbers used by ERP systems to reference components.

I have customers that cannot allow this to change in WindChill.

Scott

I know I'm late to the game with this, but I don't understand find numbers in the first place with respect to ECAD.  My understanding is that the origination of find numbers is so that you can locate or "find" parts in a large assembly drawing.  In the electronics world, this is called Reference Designators.   The EDA tool chains make sure that the components have unique Ref Des and to your point, Scott, don't change.  I think that it would be much better to synchronize find numbers and reference designators, then you wouldn't have any issues.  Find numbers would still be needed for "components" like the bare board that don't have a ref des, but now you're down to a handful of parts, and not thousands.

Garnet

The preference is working for CREO but not for all third party and ECAD. You need to check if EPMMember attributes are supported in WGM - then this should work